Does IPMI require a Supermicro PSU to power on the server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just built a server using a Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard in a non Supermicro case and a non Supermicro PSU. IPMI won't power on the server, says it failed and to check the cabling. Everything else is working normally.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Works fine with my X10SL7 or X10SLL+, which are also Xeon E3 systems FWIW. One is running off of an Antec and the other a Seasonic.

What PSU? There's no jumpers or such (un)set on the mainboard that might affect this?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks, I'll dig some more. Nothing in the manual on this.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Seems like either a faulty PSU, or board.

The BMC that runs the ipmi is powers of off the 5v standby rail of the PSU.
So as long as the PSU is plunged in and enabled, it should have power.

I have a defective PSU that works flawless for while, but after a while of it being off, it won't turn on anymore.

So, check the PSU!

Edit, ipmi did say the same once the PSU won't turn on any more, so it is very very likely the PSU at fault here.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It's a Corsair 750w PSU. No reason to think it's bad but I'll replace it and see. Bujt now I have another problem. Windows update trashed the system. I'm presently trying to get back in. May have to reload and replace the PSU. :(

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
If it is a rather modern Corsair RM, AX or HX, you are right, that seems unlikely, but everything else points at a defective board.
But this "phenomenon" is rather mysterious and the PSUs or boards may work flawless with anything else.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does IPMI require a Supermicro PSU to power on the server?
You can power on your server/mainboard with any psu that fulfills the atx specification for power supplies. The problem with 3rd party psus is that you can't see their status in ipmi.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I have an X9SRL-F that is working perfectly with a basic Corsair HX850, but was being really weird with a Corsair 860AXi PSU.
It would refuse to power up sometimes, and then on shutdown/reboot the power would flicker on and off really fast and I'd have to physically turn it off, then turn it "on" a few times to get it going again :(

Definitely not the PSU's fault as I switched it to another system and it's been flawless.

Reactions: RageBone

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Replaced the PSU and all is normal. I have no reason to suspect the Corsair is defective. Guess it's just one of those thing.
FWIW, the replacement PSU is a PC Power and Cooling 750w. Don't remember the model.

Reactions: RageBone