Does Haswell Xeons produce more heat than Ivys?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

johndoe123

Apr 10, 2019
Just out of curiosity, I know desktop Haswells are avg. 15 degrees centigrade hotter than Ivys, but does it apply to Xeons too?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The bigger heat generator is additional cores.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
The E5s are all soldered. E3s no idea?

Haswell might be a bit more dense than Ivy even though both on same process node, but wouldn't expect a big difference in heat density (in simple terms this determines max temp with a given cooler's thermal efficiency). That said, typical core counts for similar skus are higher so total output is going to be higher, you might need a beefier heatsink.

FWIW a Noctua D15 still tames a 22 core Broadwell easily, lots of cores but clocks are on the better part of the efficiency curve. Anything in this class that fits E5 socket patterns will be great. The 4U height coolers should also be fine if they have proper airflow, I don't mean wind tunnel like the 1U either.

The same double tower cooler is not enough for some mediocre bins (observed as higher voltage required) for 6 core 8700k and 8 core 9x00k i7s (Skylake++++ or whatever) at 5Ghz and above, some people have to build custom water loops for those.