Does anyone understand how to use an Intel QAT QuickAssist pcie add-in card?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
tldr;
Are intel QAT pcie cards plug and play in linux or is there more to it?

STH has some great coverage of QAT add-in cards here and here. I have an old xeon E5-2678 v3 2u I use as a homelab box running proxmox (debian 11). It isn't capable of saturating a 10Gbit line pulling from usenet when SSL is enabled in the client (nzbget or sabnzbd). On more modern hardware this isn't a problem for these applications when configured properly. I would just swap the motherboard/cpu but it's in a proprietary supermicro 2u chassis which makes that difficult and outside of this issue it's fast enough for my needs.

Does anyone know if any of these intel QAT cards can accelerate this type of a workload or is it dependent on the software to be aware of the feature existing in some additional way? My searching has come up empty. I can't tell if they're just plug and play in a modern linux OS or if additional work needs to be done?

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
If you want to accelerate openssl library (QAT or HSM), you will need to build and enable an apropriate engine.

In case of QAT, Intel has some sort of guide written here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ures-in-the-intel-qat-engine-for-openssl.html for Ubuntu or Rocky Linux.

It seems only in version OpenSSL 3.x it will use the engine by default. Not sure which version uses nzbget etc.
Thank you, very helpful. I'll have to check if the software i'm using leverages the system package for openssl or if it relies on something else, but it sounds like in theory if I can get openssl 3.x installed or build openssl following the guide you posted this could all work relatively easily. Awesome!