Does anyone know what the deal is with the Epyc 7453 (28C/56T)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

solon

Apr 1, 2021
I've spotted this Epyc Milan in local pricing lists and I'm wondering what's up with it? It has a strange number of cores (4x7C enabled?) and not a hell of a lot of cache, but it's priced almost the same as a 7443P, though it has rather lower clocks.

Does anyone have any experience with these CPU's, preferably in a workstation environment? Mainly the pricing is making me consider one for my home workstation, which I'd probably install with Gentoo and KVM/QEMU for windows gaming with GPU passthrough.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I'm assuming it's a 'quad-channel optimised' part, a la 7282.

For this, and the reasons you mentioned, I'd seek out a 7443P instead.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
It's a 4CCD part like the 7443, but the dies themselves are clearly pretty low-grade (defective cache, low clocks). Should be good for a full 8 channels worth of bandwidth though, the 7282 was a 2CCD part with limited internal bandwidth, hence the 4 channel caveat.
The 7443 is better by every metric so if you are looking at the two at the same price get that (the 7453 has a lower MSRP). Also consider waiting for Milan Threadripper to launch, Epyc is a server-only platform and you have to be ready for the idiosyncrasies of using a server board as a workstation (no audio, limited USB, no southbridge, long POST times, dependence on external airflow for VRM cooling, confusing GPU support).

Reactions: ectoplasmosis

solon

Apr 1, 2021
Thanks for the insights. 28 cores just feels like a bit of a sweet spot. I run a VM for gaming and sometimes one or two more for other things. 28 cores would give me 8 for the hypervisor, 8 for other stuff, and 12 for the game VM.

You're right though I should wait and see what Milan Threadripper does if it ever appears. Probably be smarter to wait for DDR5 as well really, the 3960X I currently run is fine, except that the board doesn't have SR-IOV which has been somewhat annoying for networking. I should probably just live with it until there's a threadripper/ddr5 solution with SR-IOV, though I don't really see a server board as an obstacle and I watercool, so it's not a big issue to watercool the VRM's as well.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
It's meant to take on the 28 Core Intel Xeons that are so popular with hyperscalers and in data centers - the EPYC pricing is much lower than the corresponding Intel SKUs