Docker Syncthing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DeSusBassist

Oct 7, 2019
Hello,

I'm new to docker as a whole so I'm going to have some dumb questions. I just wanted to put that upfront.

Anyway, I have a client who is in need of syncing two UnRaid boxes in separate locations securely, safely but most important simply. I have heard good things about SyncThing (yes it can be run in Docker) from Tom Lawrence of Lawrence Systems on YouTube (I know a great reliable source) and wanted to give it a shot. The files are definitely needing to be synced and updated in as close to realtime as possible (business databases and Quickbooks files). I think it's secure because as long as you don't allow outside access minus the LAN to the GUI, and password protect the hell out of it, you should be okay. The only port needing to be opened is 22000/TCP and that's all. The boxes us a Unique ID that is encrypted by SyncThing and that's how you point the boxes together.

Questions:
  1. Is this a good idea?
  2. Should I worry more about security?
  3. Any questions I should be asking myself?

Thanks in advance
Mike

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Security is always relative but syncthing does a good job handling security: 2.23. Security Principles — Syncthing v1 documentation

If your backing up in one direction, I'm not sure whether syncthing might be your best bet though. I really like syncthing for it's cross-platform availability but you are not gonna get the level of options needed for server backups like say on urbackup (can also run on docker).

Another thing to consider is transfer speed. I haven't had good transfer speeds on rsync for example.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Hello,

I'm new to docker as a whole so I'm going to have some dumb questions. I just wanted to put that upfront.

Anyway, I have a client who is in need of syncing two UnRaid boxes in separate locations securely, safely but most important simply. I have heard good things about SyncThing (yes it can be run in Docker) from Tom Lawrence of Lawrence Systems on YouTube (I know a great reliable source) and wanted to give it a shot. The files are definitely needing to be synced and updated in as close to realtime as possible (business databases and Quickbooks files). I think it's secure because as long as you don't allow outside access minus the LAN to the GUI, and password protect the hell out of it, you should be okay. The only port needing to be opened is 22000/TCP and that's all. The boxes us a Unique ID that is encrypted by SyncThing and that's how you point the boxes together.

Questions:
  1. Is this a good idea?
  2. Should I worry more about security?
  3. Any questions I should be asking myself?

Thanks in advance
Mike
Does he really want sync or want backup? true sync would also sync deletion, corruption, etc.