Do same Architecture CPU's have the same IPC potential?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Running into a cpu-bound issue with a single threaded firewall on an Atom C3758, so looking at swapping the board/cpu out for something with a much higher clock speed.

The atom c3758 runs at 2.2Ghz

My choices for replacement are either:

7th Gen Kaby Lake i3-7350k (4.2 Ghz base clock, 2c/4t)
Coffee Lake Xeon E-2244G (3.8Ghz base clock, 4c/8t)

Being single threaded, I don't really need more than the 2c/4t the i3 offers, and it's ~125-150$ cheaper than the E-2244G.

According to Wikipedia, Coffelake is a refresh of Skylake, basically just to increase the # of cores offered, so the architecture should be roughly the same, however one being a xeon, and one being a desktop processor, I'm not sure if theres any other secret sauce in there. I'm finding that the Atom just can't deliver raw processing power, and since the FW is limited to a single thread, I need as much raw Single threaded processing power as possible. Looking at intels spec sheets side-by-side, both CPU's offer the exact same features, including ECC memory support, so they'd be roughly a drop in replacement for the remaining hardware I have.

So the question is, since both cpus are similar architecture, will the 4.2Ghz i3 perform better in single threads than the E-2244G? Passmark seems to show otherwise:

Passmark for the E-2244G: 2852 (single threaded)
Passmark for the i3-7350k: 2467 (single threaded)
Passmark for the c3758: 857. (single threaded)

Thanks!

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
The Xeon has a 600 MHz higher Turbo, twice the Cache L3, and probably some Meltdown and Spectre Hardware mitigations that reduces the penalty compared to pure Microcode update fixes like those of Kaby Lake. So no, no chance than the Core i3 performs better.
Whenever you want to pay for the Xeon or the Core i3 is already "good enough" is your call. Note that they do NOT use the same Motherboards even if the Socket is the same, they're two different Socket versions. And Intel locked Xeons to C Series Chipset Motherboards so you can't run the Xeon on a consumer one, at least not without modding the BIOS.

Reactions: SPCRich

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
The Xeon has a 600 MHz higher Turbo, twice the Cache L3, and probably some Meltdown and Spectre Hardware mitigations that reduces the penalty compared to pure Microcode update fixes like those of Kaby Lake. So no, no chance than the Core i3 performs better.
Whenever you want to pay for the Xeon or the Core i3 is already "good enough" is your call. Note that they do NOT use the same Motherboards even if the Socket is the same, they're two different Socket versions. And Intel locked Xeons to C Series Chipset Motherboards so you can't run the Xeon on a consumer one, at least not without modding the BIOS.
I figured there'd be some stuff baked in like vulnerability fixes. Looks like I'll go with the 2244G. Thanks!