Do i really need a pure sine UPS for my worsktation?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
So i have had a CyberPower PFC Sinewave CP1500PFCLCD Unit that i bought in 8/2016 from the egg. It's battery backup function maybe lasted 2 years if even. Right now the battery/ies read 15% capacity. I switched the workstation over to a 1500avclcd that i had but not yet deployed. I tried using that and it did not provide power to the workstation when the power went out yesterday (storms, florida) before the generator kicked (have one of the big propane ones). I called cyberpower and tech support said the 1500 avr won't support the workstation because my FSP 1000 watt PSU has active PFC so it needs pure sine. I ran up to sdtaples and grabbed and ordinary BN900M from APC - uses stepped sine wave - it however can power the workstation no issue. Plugged in the workstation and monitor and did not plug in the 900 till i removed the 1500 PFC and the APC kept the workstation running. Basically i need A UPS to keep the workstation running for about 2 min. while the genny kicks on. So my question is do i really need a pure sine UPS? workstation dual xeon 2696v3 FSP 1000 Watt PSU with active PFC.

Also the power just went out for 2 hrs and APC 900 unit kept everything connected running till the generator kicked on. Can't say that bout either CP Unit. All my APC units have lasted a lot longer than the PFC.
Thx....

Last edited:

System48

Nov 29, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I'd say it depends. I've used a stepped sinewave UPS on my PFC power supply for a few years now and have never had an issue but that doesn't mean everyone's experience will be the same. It's going to depend on both the quality of the UPS and your PSUs ability to tolerate the stepped wave. If you've already tested the new UPS out and it works fine you'll likely be ok. A few posts I found did say it can cause power supplies to run warmer but since this is relatively short usage it shouldn't be a concern.

On the other hand if you prefer APC and are looking for a more affordable option vs. their high-end Smart UPS line they do have a new consumer series that has a pure sinewave output, https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1000MS/dp/B0779KYKLB

Reactions: Tha_14

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I'd say it depends. I've used a stepped sinewave UPS on my PFC power supply for a few years now and have never had an issue but that doesn't mean everyone's experience will be the same. It's going to depend on both the quality of the UPS and your PSUs ability to tolerate the stepped wave. If you've already tested the new UPS out and it works fine you'll likely be ok. A few posts I found did say it can cause power supplies to run warmer but since this is relatively short usage it shouldn't be a concern.

On the other hand if you prefer APC and are looking for a more affordable option vs. their high-end Smart UPS line they do have a new consumer series that has a pure sinewave output, https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1000MS/dp/B0779KYKLB
Thanks for that. I looked at that APC one - the 1500 unit last night. All my APC units don't miss a beat and yet these CP units were nothing but trouble for 2x the price of the staples unit. I just gonna stick with APC