Do I need to move on from my X10DRH-iT deployments ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bford

Apr 29, 2021
We have deployed a lot of X10DRH-iT motherboards out in the world ... the things we like the most about this board are:

- has a single onboard SFF-8087 that we can connect straight to backplane for first four drives
- dual 10gb NICs with good FreeBSD (ix) driver support
- 7 PCIe slots

We are totally happy with this motherboard. I think it is NOT end-of-life or legacy at supermicro - I think it is a current product.

The problem is, I don't think we can source CPUs for it anymore. We standardized on E5-2620v3 chips but those are no longer available and we have to source them refurbished ...

Questions:

- are there current Intel CPUs that we can buy new that will work in this x10 motherboard ?
- Is the X11DPH-T a good replacement ? Can we buy new CPUs for that ?

The X11DPH-T seems like a good replacement, although I don't think it has that onboard SFF-8087 connector ...

Any comments appreciated.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Any X10 board has been EoL for years. E5 v3 CPUs are 4 generations behind the current one. X11 generation is now no longer current either, though there is still availability. If you list your requirements (why 7 PCIe slots for example?), can provide some recommendations.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

Those CPUs are common on ebay, and for very cheap... 0 problem buying them used if you're still able to buy those motherboards.

Since you're using very low end CPU I assume the application isn't demanding, why upgrade if you don't need to?

Here's 2 more motherboards:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Any X10 board has been EoL for years.
Are you confusing the official eol status with availability from third party sellers?
This is how supermicro marks eol mainboards:
X9SRL.PNG
This is the x10 version of that mainboard:
X10SRL.PNG

And for the xeon d x10 mainboards supermicro guarantees support for at least 7 years.

Reactions: T_Minus

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Are you confusing the official eol status with availability from third party sellers?
This is how supermicro marks eol mainboards:
View attachment 18488
This is the x10 version of that mainboard:
View attachment 18489

And for the xeon d x10 mainboards supermicro guarantees support for at least 7 years.
The embedded ones a little different. Supermicro never migrated X9 and earlier to their new website layout, so they've just put a blanket EoL statement on everything from that generation or earlier. X10DRH-iT was released in 2014 and I don't think it could be called a current product being 2 whole sockets behind the latest generation.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't think it's considered "Current" but I don't think it's EOL since you can still easily buy the motherboards at various retail outlets.

You can also still buy the E5-2620 v4 new\retail PROVANTAGE: Intel BX80660E52620V4 Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.10G 8C 85W CPU Broadwell
and the Intel spec for the v4 say it is "launched".

No doubt it's going to get harder to buy as time goes on but still it's available retail.