Do I need a new PSU for this build (UP to DP)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

runelind

May 30, 2016
I currently have a hex-core AMD CPU (95W) and 20 drives in a Norco 4220 chassis powered by an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU. I was looking at a Supermicro X8DTI-F board with a pair of Xeon 5630s (40W). Since my Antec doesn't have any EPS connectors, I was looking at a PCIe to EPS adapter (Akasa PCI-E 6-Pin to ATX12V EPS 8-Pin Adapter Cable (AK-CB051) - FrozenCPU.com).

1) Is it a good idea to use the PCIe to EPS adapter? The 5630s are reasonably efficient.
2) Is 500W enough for the build, or should I really just look at a new PSU (modular?) that I can have more confidence in? If so, please provide recommendations, I'd like to stay under $100

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Do you know what your current power draw is? You could dangerously close to maxed out on that PSU. Depending on hard drive model (power consumption), number/type of fans, add-on cards, amount of RAM, other things. You might be ok.

If you are only pulling 250-300watts right now you are probably ok to upgrade assuming you aren't going to be adding any high draw devices like a video card or something at the same time.

You existing PSU only does 400w between the 2x 12v rails. Most of your load is at 12v. If you are coming close to that now then you definitely should upgrade PSU. Without any additional info I would be a lot more comfortable with 700-750 watts but that could be complete overkill.

Really we could use some more info to be able to tell you with any certainty.

runelind

May 30, 2016
I will not be adding any video cards as the boards I'm looking at come with their own cards built in. I currently have
six HDN724040AL drives and
14 ST2000DM001 drives with just the system fans. I have a IBM/Mellanox 10gig dual port card. This system is running FreeBSD 10.3 and just used for serving files over iSCSI/NFS with some light python usage as well. I'm not really able to tell what my current power draw is.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I think you will be ok. You are going to be close but you should be ok. My guess is that you will be around 300-350watts. Don't go swapping in a bunch of 15k SAS drives or a high end video card and you should be ok.

Just keep in mind if you computer starts randomly restarting when under load that you need a bigger PSU.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Power supplies are relatively cheap. Buy a better power supply. Antec is extremely hit and miss with chinese shit (caps) in them sometimes. Basically, buy the best power supply you can afford. A good majority of the EVGA power supplies have dual EPS12V connectors, so that could be a good path. Maybe repurpose your older Earthwatts supply into something that is a little less... high stakes $$$-wise.

I've seen power supplies ruin entire systems.

Suggesting Refurbished: EVGA 120-G1-0650-RX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply - Newegg.com

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Agreed a higher quality (and more efficient) PSU with the right connectors out of the box is always the better option.

I was focusing more on the "would it work".

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Mainboard ~ 35-50W (may be higher depending on regulation, level of peripherals etc)
DDR3 RAM ~ 2-3W per dimm
3.5" Magnetic Disk ~ 8-10W (a bit less when doing nothing other than spinning)
CPU ~ 95W (less when idling)
DVD drive ~15-20W
Average PC case fan ~ 5W (heavy server fans can draw a lot more)

These are approximates, but add up what you have and see where it shakes out. Doing a quick rough in my head, I would say you are well over half your rated output for the 500W supply, so I would say move up to at least a 750W. The last thing you'll want is rail sag when drives are spinning up or a heavy load is suddenly placed on the CPU's etc. Moving up won't cause a much if any higher power consumption by itself, but when you need the horses, it's available. Your gear will only pull what's needed from the supply, providing it can of course source that power.

Either way, you'll want to size your supply so that it can handle your worst case scenario + 25% (wiggle room for growth). When all is up and running, drives spinning and running a light-medium load, you will be much closer to half or less of the rated supply, where it will run cool, quiet and be at its most efficient :)

Last edited:

runelind

May 30, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I have a Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F board and the EVGA PSU (bought new instead of refurb) on the way!

Reactions: StammesOpfer

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I currently have a hex-core AMD CPU (95W) and 20 drives in a Norco 4220 chassis powered by an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU. I was looking at a Supermicro X8DTI-F board with a pair of Xeon 5630s (40W). Since my Antec doesn't have any EPS connectors, I was looking at a PCIe to EPS adapter (Akasa PCI-E 6-Pin to ATX12V EPS 8-Pin Adapter Cable (AK-CB051) - FrozenCPU.com).

1) Is it a good idea to use the PCIe to EPS adapter? The 5630s are reasonably efficient.
2) Is 500W enough for the build, or should I really just look at a new PSU (modular?) that I can have more confidence in? If so, please provide recommendations, I'd like to stay under $100
A Supermicro X8DTE-F with a pair of L5630's and 12 GB RAM draws 160W from the wall under full CPU load with a Corsair CX 500 power supply using an 8 pin EPS12v to 2 x 8 pin EPS12v adapter. The same system draws 150W from the wall when fed with a EVGA 650GQ. That EVGA was the least expensive, reputable brand power supply I could find with two, 8 pin EPS12v plugs at 50USD after rebate. The system draws 300W from the wall under CPU stress load with a pair of 5675's. Actual DC consumption is 80% to 90% of the what is drawn from the wall.

I bought the larger supply for the two EPS12v plugs, not for total capacity. I was not comfortable pulling 200 watts from a single 8 pin EPS12v plug and a splitter. I had no reservations pulling 80 with the lower power processors. I would not be quite as comfortable with a single 75W 6 pin PCIe power plug feeding both 8 pin EPS12v plugs.

Your drives are probably drawing more power than your motherboard. the nerds site is down so I can't see what you picked but anything 500 watts or bigger should be fine.