Do EPYC Milan CPUs even exist for sale?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
for some odd reason, an order I put back in june, suddenly showed up as shipping. I am supposed to receive it on monday. this was from shopblt. they are still showing a dec date as when they will be in stock. I wasn't expecting it to ever be available and wound up finding several 7763s so not sure what to make of this bluebird!

AugustaLemke

Sep 6, 2021
for some odd reason, an order I put back in june, suddenly showed up as shipping. I am supposed to receive it on monday. this was from shopblt. they are still showing a dec date as when they will be in stock. I wasn't expecting it to ever be available and wound up finding several 7763s so not sure what to make of this bluebird!
You put in a shopblt order for 7763s? I still have a 3/7/22 ETA on those and I put an order in back in July. No email yet here. When did you get an email?

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
You put in a shopblt order for 7763s? I still have a 3/7/22 ETA on those and I put an order in back in July. No email yet here. When did you get an email?
The order from shopblt was for the 7443p. That email just showed up last Friday. The 7763s were from a couple of servers that I bought directly from Dell not shopblt.

AugustaLemke

Sep 6, 2021
The order from shopblt was for the 7443p. That email just showed up last Friday. The 7763s were from a couple of servers that I bought directly from Dell not shopblt.
Strange, I have an order for a 7443P from shopblt ordered on 6/2. No email and I suspect there is more to getting it than when you ordered it. What they are doing is beyond me.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Strange, I have an order for a 7443P from shopblt ordered on 6/2. No email and I suspect there is more to getting it than when you ordered it. What they are doing is beyond me.
Same. I have a 7443P order with shopBLT from 5/24 and no such email either.

AugustaLemke

Sep 6, 2021
Same. I have a 7443P order with shopBLT from 5/24 and no such email either.
At this rate, I fully expect shopBLT to push us into 2022. I am curious if you had tried ordering an HPE upgrade kit from Provantage... That seems like the way to go if you want it before the end of the year.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
No I didn’t try. Seemed like it would take several months anyway. So I’ll just keep waiting.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Just arrived today (fedex was 1 day late....no surprise!). Now I have to decide what to do as I started to "thin out" my collection of servers and parts :p Also, no idea why mine was sent as it seems like others ordered earlier and they are still listed as 12/21/21 as the earliest! That date kept on getting pushed back and places liked wiredzone would tease me with an available notification only to be told that the system was not accurate 2 days later!

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
That is similar to what happened to me at WiredZone. I place my order and it was scheduled to ship the next day and the next day I received notification that inventory was incorrect and my order was backordered. But it wasn't cancelled like others. Was told to expect it in September but actually received it in August. Seems receiving any kind of backorder is by pure chance.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
just listed my 7443p (new in box) cpu from shopblt on this site before listing it on the bay!

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I just got off the phone with my HPE rep and they said that there are no efuses being blown in the 7001/7002 EPYCs which corresponds with when that article was written. Starting in the 7003 EPYCs they started blowing efuses and that they are now vendor locked.

Zen 1, 2, or 3?
You trust an HPE rep? Asked by an ex HPE rep suffering hysterical paroxysms on the carpet.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I would assume they do factory testing of the processor in a board to ensure it works?

Besides QA, you also break the chain of custody if you don't cryptographically sign it before it ships to the customer.
HPE hasn't done factory burn in or testing in decades. Almost everything outside of factory express rack builds are drop shipped.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I am ready to update my home cluster and I want to go epyc but the out of stock and price gouging situation is annoying. It will be 3 node cluster with 7313p in some sm h12ssl variant. I wanted to build one node first before laying out for multiple cpu, but it is starting to feel like I should just go ahead with putting in a preorder at a place like shopblt for 3. Thoughts, other recommended sources for the states?

Reactions: lihp

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I got lucky with 7443P from WiredZone back in August. Might try them along with ShopBLT. This search just now shows 6 in stock at dihuni.
AMD Epyc 7313P
Dihuni has shown stock twice for me and the order has immediately come back as back ordered at their above MSRP price. This is what I mean when I say annoying.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Since shopBLT keeps kicking the can down the road. (Latest estimate was today 12/27, but since I’ve heard nothing I fully expect another “update” tomorrow pushing it another week or more)

I stumbled on an eBay listing last week for a 7402P for $999 with free shipping and 3-day delivery. No pics. No mention if it’s vendor locked. Just a price almost too good to be true in this market, and a good seller rating based in TX, so I took the gamble. Bought it and it showed up as promised! Dropped it in my ROMED8-2T, updated the BIOS/BMC to 3.20/1.19 for Milan, and I’m off.

when the 7443P finally shows up I’ll swap it out and either sell this off or keep it for a server upgrade.

Reactions: Mace

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I wonder what the news of the 3D cache Epycs that likely will be announced at CES will do to the marketplace