Do EPYC Milan CPUs even exist for sale?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Tyan has firmware that supports both the Rome and milan. That is what I was using and it worked without issue.

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
I now got some weeks testing under my belt with 7443P. Bottom line: impressed.
  • With decent cooling I could get all 24 cores to 3.90+ GHz under prolonged full load
  • 10th in multicore on Passmark: Click Me
  • Single core performance according Passmark makes it the 6th fastest server CPU: CPUbench: Click on Server
  • no hickups so far in burn in test
  • decent price/core
Overall the combination of price:core, single-core, multicore performance, low energy usage (when not in turbo) and amount of cores makes it by far one of the best available cpus as long as you dont need more cores.
hold on, the milan CPUs are unlocked? also 63C, what server chassis and cooler are you using?
if it needs liquid metal then liquid metal it is.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
They'll boost right up to almost their full single core boost clock if well cooled. Custom water cooling likely necessary.
Can't wait to get my 7443P. I get almost my full single-core boost clock under all-core loading on my 7402P and run around 45° C. under my waterblock.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
hold on, the milan CPUs are unlocked?
They are not vendor locked. But you can not overclock them. The 7443/P has max. 4 GHz (Turbo). 72F3 is highest with 4.1 GHz, 73F3/74F3/75F3 are all also 4.0 GHz. Meaning: except for the Cache, the 7443/P has the potential to get close to a top spot in Milan single core performance (actually did so far as it turns out).

The 7443P is also the CPU, which offers the best cost:core ratio. All that with a TDP of 200W (lowest available in that performance class).

Bottom line: the 7443P is imho the top CPU for single socket systems, when you don't need more than 24C/48T.

also 63C, what server chassis and cooler are you using?
Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL chassis and bequiet! Dark Rock Pro TR cooler (I wanted that black style ;) and low noise). In fact I only hear the hard drives - and only sometimes as a short noise far in the background, like once every 2 days. 1m away from me and I never hear the fans at 500-1,000 rpm.

I used liquid metal, since I was not sure and lacked experience with Milan CPUs under full load. So basically I went: better safe than sorry - so liquid metal it was.

Read more here >

Reactions: jtaj

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
They'll boost right up to almost their full single core boost clock if well cooled.
Yep - but needs some configuration in BIOS and under RHEL to unlock full potential.

Custom water cooling likely necessary.
Not really. As told above: liquid metal + Dark Rock Pro keeps it at a measly max temperature of 63°C.

Can't wait to get my 7443P.
Gogogogogo but keep in mind: there are lots sick offers at 1600+ EUR/US$. Normally it should be like 1410 € in Europe.

I get almost my full single-core boost clock under all-core loading on my 7402P and run around 45° C. under my waterblock.
Then I assume you achieve similar temperatures with the 7443P.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Got my shipping notification for my Epyc 7443P order I placed back in May. Should have it Monday.
Can't wait to replace the TR2920X cpu and mobo with the 7443P and the Asrock ROMED8-2T mobo.

Reactions: gsrcrxsi

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Fedex just delivered the cpu just now. So now to start the rebuild process.
Package was shipped from SuperMicro. Ordered it from Wiredzone.

Reactions: gsrcrxsi

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Cpu is in and running. Disappointed in the core clocks under load. Only can manage 3.28Ghz. That is not even as good as my 7402P.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
They are not vendor locked. But you can not overclock them. The 7443/P has max. 4 GHz (Turbo). 72F3 is highest with 4.1 GHz, 73F3/74F3/75F3 are all also 4.0 GHz. Meaning: except for the Cache, the 7443/P has the potential to get close to a top spot in Milan single core performance (actually did so far as it turns out).

The 7443P is also the CPU, which offers the best cost:core ratio. All that with a TDP of 200W (lowest available in that performance class).

Bottom line: the 7443P is imho the top CPU for single socket systems, when you don't need more than 24C/48T.

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL chassis and bequiet! Dark Rock Pro TR cooler (I wanted that black style ;) and low noise). In fact I only hear the hard drives - and only sometimes as a short noise far in the background, like once every 2 days. 1m away from me and I never hear the fans at 500-1,000 rpm.

I used liquid metal, since I was not sure and lacked experience with Milan CPUs under full load. So basically I went: better safe than sorry - so liquid metal it was.

Read more here >
I am underwhelmed with the loaded core clocks on my 7443P. Anybody play around with the overclocking options in the Asrock Rack 3.20 BIOS?
I have set Determinism to Performance and the cTDP and PPL limits to 200. The same settings I am using on the 7402P and am not able to achieve similar loaded clocks.

Temps are 48° C. loaded under custom water cooling.

Anybody have more tuning tips to get more clock speed out the cpu?

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
may not be relevant to your type of testing but I needed to set nps=4 for most of my network and storage tests for best results. this wasn't with the 7443p but a few other milan and rome cpus.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Haha ha. I was stuck at NPS=4 for a day and couldn't figure out why my setting of NPS=1 was being ignored in the BIOS. Turns out the Application Tuning menu overwrites whatever you input in the BIOS. The menu help is nonexistent for that option and would clear up the confusion if it was there.

I chose the Compute Intensive option which told me it optimizes compute and floating point operations. It also defaults to NPS=4.

Spent another day tuning the cpu for my use case. Appears leaving everything at default Auto may be the best.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
hold on, the milan CPUs are unlocked? also 63C, what server chassis and cooler are you using?
No, they aren't unlocked. Though several online articles detailing the releases state incorrectly that they are multiplier unlocked.
Factually completely incorrect. Should message the article editors to get them to revise their copy.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Just played around in the BIOS for several hours again trying to improve the clocks. Wasted effort. I can get better MLC and Geekbench numbers with tuning but that turns out counter-productive for my real application.

I get the best loaded core clocks by just leaving everything on Auto settings. The only things in the BIOS that helped was disabling Gear Down Mode for the memory and turning CPPC to enabled.

I can get the core clocks to range from 3.360 - 3.386 Ghz under my BOINC load. Which is better than my 7402P by a few hundred megahertz.

If I try and tune, the core clocks sync up to a lower 3.287Ghz. So Milan is optimized out of the gate on Auto for the ROMED8-2T mobo whereas you can get a bit better performance out of the Rome cpu on the EPYCD8 mobo by some tuning in the BIOS.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
@Keith Myers Just thought I'd let you know I just build a H12SSL + 7313P combo and it consistently turbos to 3.725 GHz under almost all workloads. Including heavy load like prime95 small. I'm surprised because it's above the official turbo of 3.7 GHz (maybe they needed more significant digits in their marketing)? LOL

P.S. I still really badly need a 7443P in north america.. can anyone help me find one!?!

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
@Keith Myers Just thought I'd let you know I just build a H12SSL + 7313P combo and it consistently turbos to 3.725 GHz under almost all workloads. Including heavy load like prime95 small. I'm surprised because it's above the official turbo of 3.7 GHz (maybe they needed more significant digits in their marketing)? LOL

P.S. I still really badly need a 7443P in north america.. can anyone help me find one!?!
Prime 95 small FFT with AVX? Or without? Which version of P95?

but also it’s normal to get higher clocks with lower core counts.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
All tests are Prime95 Small:

16 cores SSE 3.725GHz
16 cores AVX2 3.575GHz
32 cores SSE 3.65 GHz
32 cores AVX2 3.4 GHz

Keep in mind that P95 small is unrealistic in it's power draw profile and my tests are all but 1 limited by package power, so higher clocks would be expected under realistic loads (which is what I see as well).

I personally am very satisfied by the clock speeds achieved for the cores / instructions used.

16 Cores P95 SSE.png
16 Cores P95 AVX2.png32 Cores P95 SSE.png32 Cores P95 AVX2.png

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Yes that makes sense that you were quoting non-AVX loads at 3.7GHz since AVX is more intense.

also normal to see higher clocks with less cores. Keith is talking about a CPU with an additional 8cores and 16 threads. 50% more CPU cores/threads but with only 10% more power budget. So clock speed has to give less.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
My principal workload is actually no SMT, SEE math, and mostly memory bound, so I'm getting full turbo for my stuff.

I think we're on the same page. Keith just seems disappointed.

I do see though that he set it to performance, where it should be set to power control.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020

Well, you can get in on the pre-order list at ShopBLT.com and take the place for my reservation that I canceled. I got mine from WiredZone with my order placed back in May. My order was good for a day until they told me that they miscounted on inventory and placed my order on back-order. But it showed up a couple weeks earlier than originally estimated. Was actually fulfilled by SuperMicro. ShopBLT is still showing 9/21 for inventory arrival.

I stopped using Prime95 because it doesn't match my actual workload. Too weak and doesn't stress the hardware near enough compared to my actual workload. I find y-cruncher better matches my actual workload and is best for finding stability. The HNT mixed integer workload in y-cruncher best matches my BOINC workload.

If you leave Determinism on Auto, it defaults to Performance. I tried Power and saw no difference in clocks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
My principal workload is actually no SMT, SEE math, and mostly memory bound, so I'm getting full turbo for my stuff.

I think we're on the same page. Keith just seems disappointed.

I do see though that he set it to performance, where it should be set to power control.
Yes, I was expecting something a lot closer to the 4Ghz clock on my 7443P. I get 3.30Ghz out the max 3.35Ghz on my 7402P.

I was expecting similar boosts on the 7443P. Much closer to the 4Ghz max boost.

If I am just cruising around in the desktop doing normal stuff like browsing I am boosting all the way to 4.035Ghz. But put those 48 threads under a math load and the clocks come way down. AVX2 plunges down to baseload of 2.85Ghz.