DL585 G7 won't post with anything more than 4 GPU's......

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Hey all,

I've got a 4P Dl585 G7 with 16GB ecc DDR3. It also has the additional 6-slot PCI-E add-on board that gives a total of 11 PCI-E slots.

My issue is that I'm having a problem whereby upon inserting anything more than 4 GPU's the server fails to POST and is stuck at post code display "01" on the board. I actually have to do a BIOS reset in order to bring the thing back online. I'm using the latest BIOS from early 2016 (as well has using an old 2012 year BIOS) and that didn't seem to help anything. Any ideas??

Additionally, I have run the cards from 16x to 1x slots and this does not seem to help the issue...

Lastly, does anyone know what all of these extra dip switches do? They are labeled "reserved" but I fail to believe that they do absolutely nothing.

Any documentation references would be welcome. Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Usually, this is an issue with PCIe BIOS settings. Uninstall cards and work on those. I cannot remember what they are called in HPE terms.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
There are very few PCI-E bios settings unfortunately... nothing regarding 4gb memory allocation or anything of the sort. I've forced PCI-E gen 1 and another setting about memory I/O reporting for the OS but don't see any other PCI-E options other than bus padding which I don't think does anything? Maybe it does, but the problem is that it simply doesn't POST at all on the 5th GPU. This is what leads me to looking into the large number of dip switches on the board outside of the maintenance switches.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
could IRQ settings cause this? i.e. before I add the 5th card shift IRQ settings around?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Don't know on that model but each card needs ~2gb ram taken away from the OS on some HP systems.
Have you tried some extra memory just to test ?

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
this box has 16GB memory so shouldn't be an issue there I don't think?

I have plenty of RAM so I can try adding.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
this box has 16GB memory so shouldn't be an issue there I don't think?

I have plenty of RAM so I can try adding.
Should be plenty but maybe worth adding 4 or 8gb to try. I looked through the quickspecs and did not see the usual note about reserved memory for PCIe devices, so not sure if it's an issue or not.

How many display outputs on each card ? I remember people have issues with too many outputs and needed to disable some, can't find the thread though.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
how would I go about disabling outputs? there's like 3-4 per card
I don't know exactly I am hoping the brains trust here will chime in, I know it was in a thread here at STH but my google-fu is not good enough to find it.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
Update on this... this 585 g7 will not detect anything more than 4 single gpu cards period... onboard video enabled or disabled or other devices enabled/disabled does not matter. I tried using dual GPU cards (7990's) and it will detect no more than two of these (4 total GPU's)... i am EXTREMELY disappointed with this server and I can't believe that HP provides *ELEVEN* PCI-E slots but only thought to make four usable ... I understand memory allocation but I've tried more RAM and this does nothing; additionally, these cards only seem to allocate 256mb which, even four cards, is not in need of 4GB allocation. I can't understand this for the life of me and anyone out there that has any idea why this might be please chime in.