DL380 Gen9 HDD Backplane Power Pinouts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheRenegade

Jan 29, 2019
Hi guys

I'd like to add an 8-SFF drive bay but add it externally to the server. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who knew the cabling pinouts for the server hard drive backplanes.

I want to make my own cable and use it that way. The whole of the front of the server is full with disks so I just need it to add these last 8 disks until we get a dedicated drive shelf.

Thanks in advance

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Do you need 8 more drives or can you just use the rear 2 drive bay?
If you used power from the rear... and standard cables... you don't need to learn the pinout.

I still advise on getting a shelf and not jerry rigging anything...you are just risking your investment to save a few bucks.

TheRenegade

Jan 29, 2019
It's just for testing purposes at the moment with a bit some disks used as storage. We have the hardware already just need to find out the pin information for now.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I wish I could help, but I'm in a similar boat with an IBM x3750 M4. I sent an email to Lenovo, but I doubt they would have any interest in supporting an EOL product outside of a support contract.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
I actually did a similar thing with an older gen HP backplane. I managed to find some pictures of it hooked up to the normal power supply (I did not have the original server, I bought the backplanes separately) and then assumed that they followed normal ATX color codings (ATX - Wikipedia).
It worked out for me, at least, can of course not guarantee that they haven't started recoloring the cables, but try finding some inside pictures of the DL380G9 and work from there.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You already have 24 x SFF front and 2 x SFF rear ? And want to add ? Your server is only 8 SFF and want to add as mentioned just add the tray, I can help you source if needed.