DL380 G6 requirements to upgrade included SFF bays to SATA 6GB/s speeds

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trekie80

Jun 14, 2021
UK
Hi,

I didn't want to resurrect a thread from almost 8 years ago but I have a question expanding on that thread - Link to thread

That thread indicates that purchasing an LSI 9211-8i or Dell H310 will add capabilities for a DL380 G6 to connect with SATA III / 6Gb/s.

My question is will this be the only component required to be added/replaced?

I would like to use the included SFF 8 drive bay that comes with the server, I currently have a mix of SATA, SAS and SATA SSDs in these bays. If I were to add the new adapter and swap the cables from the onboard controller to the add-in card would this provide the desired outcome with the stock backplane? I tried to find specs on the backplane but there was no mention of connection capabilities.

... I hope that made sense and thanks in advance!

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
I have one of these sitting in my junk pile now, any time you put ANY different than HP card in one of those guys the fan speeds up to ludicrous speed. The included raid card ( i forget the name) is ok. I mean you aren't going to run freenas or do any ZFS on it, but other than that it was fine to play around with.

With the price of servers now (especially dell R710's and R510's) I wouldn't waste my time on the HP.
my $0.02

Reactions: trekie80

trekie80

Jun 14, 2021
UK
I have one of these sitting in my junk pile now, any time you put ANY different than HP card in one of those guys the fan speeds up to ludicrous speed. The included raid card ( i forget the name) is ok. I mean you aren't going to run freenas or do any ZFS on it, but other than that it was fine to play around with.

With the price of servers now (especially dell R710's and R510's) I wouldn't waste my time on the HP.
my $0.02
Thanks for the info and hardware recommendations! Do you know of any decent suppliers (in the UK)? I've looked at where I originally got the HP but they're out of stock of most anything, including the Dells!