DL180 G6 (Serverworks Edition ILO2!) $25 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I believe there is not an ATX pinout used, but a slightly modified one. Not a biggy to correct, I guess.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Sweet the $20 400-watt super slim power supplies (dl320/dl160/dl120) and the $10-50 backplane are a good RPS solution. the power is pretty normal stuff.

think about it same motherboard probably goes into some sort of HP workstation eh

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I'm sure I can work that out. Kinda like the x8 riser board. good use for 3D printer

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
oh i'm replacing dl180 g6 motherboards with these so I can have real ILO2.

But I'm also going to stuff the dl160 g6 motherboard in a dl120 G6 I have so I can use L5639s and 18 dims ..

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Any ideas if this mobo will fit in a G5 chassis? Also, I am not to familiar with HP mobo's. Do I need to license the ilo on it? Lastly, does it come with an IO shield? I hate to nag, but the IO shield on the dl180 G6 looks different than the one for the G7, which the motherboard above is listed for.

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
no io shield. It's a standard motherboard as far as power. ILO2 key? google it. Decide for yourself.

NO IO shield, maybe that's why its cheap. You can make one out of cardboard?

I was thinking of building a desktop from an old XW4600 workstations using a pair of L5639 and this.

But that might be redundant to my MAC PRO 4,1

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Well the server will be colocated for my business, so i have to do something a bit more professional than cardboard. Might be able to something with a rotary tool and some type of plastic.

The fact that I couldnt find anything about pricing for the ilo2 key definitely worries me that it might be stupid expensive. HP practically deserves to be boycotted just on the basis that they actually license something like that.

Well I dont think even the $400 boards (same model) come with io shields, so I dont thats the case on its price. Eh, I might still take the dive though. Waiting to hear back from an G6 and G5 sellers though on my offers.

Wolfy

Aug 12, 2013
Has anyone dealt with this seller before and know how strict they are with requiring business names and not sending to freight forwarders? I have a shipito address that id like to use and then on to Aus

N3RO

Jun 5, 2013
Would someone be able to help me with purchase?

I'm from Europe (PT) and they do not make international shipments. I would pay in advance :)

Thanks

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
The price is great so I purchased one of these motherboards knowing that I've got a "ghetto" build on my hands, as I'm not putting this into an HP chassis.

The board arrived well packed, and although this part was sold as "used", the anti-static bag looked new and was sealed in such a way that I could quite easily think that this was indeed a new part. LGA covers were installed :), which never seems to be the case on most eBay "used motherboard" purchases.

There was a brown tag attached to CPU1 which has barcodes with the "iLO Default Network Settings". I presume I'm going to need this data to be able to get access to the iLO functionality ?

I haven't tried installing in a chassis yet, but it looks like an E-ATX footprint.

Looks as if there are 3 standard power connectors 24pin / 8pin / 4pin (highlighted in the image below)

Power connector details ...

Can anyone point me to documentation that provides the connector pin out details. Specifically for the 6 pin fan connector (shown to the right in the above image), as well as for the front panel connector, shown below ..

Now that I've got the board in my hands I realize that the CPU cooler mounting appears to be different to the 1366 coolers that I have at hand (Intel and SM). I think that I'm looking for HP P/N 507247-001 ... can anyone please verify this ?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The 6-pin connectors are fan headers. The DL180 G6 uses funky "redundant duplex fans", which are like two 80x38mm fans bolted together front-to-back. There is a single cable that connects to the 6-pin fan headers. I'll get you the pinout tomorrow morning, but basically its 1 gnd, 1 pwr, 2 pcm, 2 sense.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
No pinouts here, but the board layout on page 2 should help: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/si...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Note that this is for the "normal" DL180 G6 MB (the one with the LO100 instead of iLO2). The MB you have is from the Lefthand / X1600 G2 and has iLO2. But on a glance most of the connectors seem to be in the right places.

The large 8-pin connector is definitely labelled "8 pin power connector" and the 4-pin connector near the memory is labelled "4-pin power connector".

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Also - yes - HP 507247-001 is the right heatsink. Note that it does not have its own fan. The DL180 G6 uses a server cooling design with a plastic air baffle to force airflow over the heatsinks. Baffle is HP 507256-001 and should work any any 2U case with a midplane fan design (SM, Norco, etc).

I think you'll have to pick up the HP coolers to make it work because the mounting is so proprietary and you want a good seating of the cooler. You could probably get away without the baffle if you ghetto mod fans onto the coolers. But no matter what you do you are probably paying more for CPU cooling than you did for the MB - which is amusing!

Last edited: