DL180 G6 (Serverworks Edition ILO2!) $25 motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chad

Feb 12, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I just started building a system using an HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 chassis that I inherited, and I ran into the front-panel pin-out problem. The previous diagram was encouraging, but I wanted more things to work, so I went to work with my multimeter.

Here is what I found:

Because these LEDs can output multiple colors, I found it helpful to read the "LED Indicators" section of the manual. The manual version I am using is this one. This gave me an idea of what features I should be looking for.

Caveats:

Of course, this is not an exhaustive scan of all pin combinations, nor do I understand anything about the circuitry inside the front panel. I still don't know what the yellow wire connecting to pin 12 does.

I suspect that they get the amber color for the System Health LED by turning on the green and red LEDs at the same time. I could be wrong. When I tried to light up this indicator, it was very faint compared to the others, and I had trouble making it out.

I am not %100 sure this is the same pin-out as the DL180 G6 front panel header, but so far these machines seem incredibly similar, so I think it will be alright.

Now if only I had pin-outs for the HDD backplane and power backplane... ;)

I hope this helps a bunch of people encountering this thing.

Update: going to try and fix the broken image link:

Last edited:
Reactions: HG281D and Did

HG281D

Jul 9, 2016
I just recently purchased a board i thought was identical to this one. (583724-001)
but no matter what i do i can not get it to post.

Current configuration:

1x Xeon X5670 in CPU Socket 1
4x 2GB HP PC3-10600 ECC Reg RDIMM - 595094-001 in Slot A, B, D & E of CPU1
6x 92mm AVC PWM Fan (both sense pins bridged per fan connector)
1x 750W XFX ATX PSU: 24Pin, 8Pin CPU and 4Pin CPU hooked up correctly

When i bridge PWR Switch to Ground the system turns on, all FANs start at 100% and slow down after ~5 seconds.
(this probably means the FANs are not the issue)
During the "startup" the LED CR2 is on until CR8 flashes for a fraction of a second, CR2 turns back on for 1 second until CR8 flashes again, then CR2 stays on until i kill the PSU or bridge PWR switch to GND for 6 seconds.

The CPU gets warm if i remove the heatsink, so it does seem to enable CPU Vcore
No post on the onboard VGA, same thing with a Geforce 9800GT, 8600GT and GT630

I already tried different Memory (Micron 8GB DDR3L ECC REG or Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 non ECC) in various Slots, still always the same issue.
Removing the CMOS battery over night didn't change anything either.

Could it be possible that this version of the Board or the used BIOS does not support the 6-Core X5670 or any of the 32nm LGA1366 Xeons?

What memory have you used on this board and confirmed that it works?

It has already been 3 weeks since i purchased my board so i can't send it back. I really hope that it is not dead.

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
I just recently purchased a board i thought was identical to this one. (583724-001)
but no matter what i do i can not get it to post.

Current configuration:

1x Xeon X5670 in CPU Socket 1
4x 2GB HP PC3-10600 ECC Reg RDIMM - 595094-001 in Slot A, B, D & E of CPU1
6x 92mm AVC PWM Fan (both sense pins bridged per fan connector)
1x 750W XFX ATX PSU: 24Pin, 8Pin CPU and 4Pin CPU hooked up correctly

When i bridge PWR Switch to Ground the system turns on, all FANs start at 100% and slow down after ~5 seconds.
(this probably means the FANs are not the issue)
During the "startup" the LED CR2 is on until CR8 flashes for a fraction of a second, CR2 turns back on for 1 second until CR8 flashes again, then CR2 stays on until i kill the PSU or bridge PWR switch to GND for 6 seconds.

The CPU gets warm if i remove the heatsink, so it does seem to enable CPU Vcore
No post on the onboard VGA, same thing with a Geforce 9800GT, 8600GT and GT630

I already tried different Memory (Micron 8GB DDR3L ECC REG or Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 non ECC) in various Slots, still always the same issue.
Removing the CMOS battery over night didn't change anything either.

Could it be possible that this version of the Board or the used BIOS does not support the 6-Core X5670 or any of the 32nm LGA1366 Xeons?

What memory have you used on this board and confirmed that it works?

It has already been 3 weeks since i purchased my board so i can't send it back. I really hope that it is not dead.
Regarding the CPU and RAM:

I've been using X5670 and variety of Kingston, Hynix and Samsung DDR3 (1, 2, 4 and 8GB) and all did work.
Have you tested the CPU in another board? Any chances to try the board with another Xeon?

HG281D

Jul 9, 2016
Regarding the CPU and RAM:

I've been using X5670 and variety of Kingston, Hynix and Samsung DDR3 (1, 2, 4 and 8GB) and all did work.
Have you tested the CPU in another board? Any chances to try the board with another Xeon?
Yes, the CPU still works just fine in my Gigabyte X58 board.
I am thinking of buying a cheap E5520 or something similar just for troubleshooting.
(the plan is to buy two X5570s but i want to make sure the board works first.)

The RAM you have been using, was it all ECC REG / ECC unbuffered or did it work with non ECC as well?

Thank you for your help!

novegg4

Nov 23, 2013
Yes, the CPU still works just fine in my Gigabyte X58 board.
I am thinking of buying a cheap E5520 or something similar just for troubleshooting.
(the plan is to buy two X5570s but i want to make sure the board works first.)

The RAM you have been using, was it all ECC REG / ECC unbuffered or did it work with non ECC as well?

Thank you for your help!
All ECC REG.
However, I am recalling that I tried plain regular desktop DDR3 non-ECC (I believe G.Skill 2x8GB 1600) and it did work for sure - just with warning message during POST.
Try to check the jumpers "SYS ID" (bottom of the board) - mine all open.

Reactions: HG281D

HG281D

Jul 9, 2016
All ECC REG.
However, I am recalling that I tried plain regular desktop DDR3 non-ECC (I believe G.Skill 2x8GB 1600) and it did work for sure - just with warning message during POST.
Try to check the jumpers "SYS ID" (bottom of the board) - mine all open.
For me the two to the right were closed.
I removed them and i thought you figured it out since it took longer for it to spin the fans down and it spun them up and down again but then it turned off by itself and wouldn't turn back on until i unplugged the psu and waited for a few seconds.

It is now back to the old behaviour no matter if the jumpers are there or not.
I can't even reproduce the scenario of it spinning the fans up and down twice at all.
(not even after removing the battery for 20 minutes)

What about the dip switches near the pcie slots. Mine are all "on" i belive.

I'm ordering a E5520 for testing later today and if it doesn't work with that one either i'm gonna hook the board up right to 400V 3-phase power to at least have some fun with it.

Simonator

Dec 26, 2016
Hi,
I played around with this board for some time, but I ran into the issue that board restarts itself after it recognized all of the hardware installed. The last thing to be showed is something about inlet ambient temperature. then it restarts itself. Does anyone of you know the reason for the restart?

(sorry for my bad English)

Illidan1601

Sep 2, 2017
Hello there,
I read this Thread and bought me an SE326M1 Mainboard for my DL180 G6.
I wanted to have the full functionality of iLO2.

Now my problem:
Before the DL180 G6 works fine without any problems.
After i replaced the board with the SE326M1 Mainboard i run into a FAN Error: 1611-Fan 1,2,3,5,6 Missing.
I have only connected four Fans 1,2,3,5. Cause the manual says by a 4 Fan Solution you only use this 4-Connectors not 4 and 6.
But it still doesn't works everytime the same fan error.

Have someone a solution for me?

Attachments

wizziLalev

May 31, 2017
Hi All,
I really don't want to resurrect old threads but I'm really stuck....

I'm on the same path described here, but I can't find proper PSU pinout anywhere on the net. So could someone of you guys help me just a little bit?

I need the pinout of all PSU connectors, for DL120/DL320 G6. PSU model number is HP DPS-400AB-4.
I've manage to get 2 boards + backplanes + CPU and RAM for close to nothing and I really want to get them running.

Thanks in advance!