DIY Server/NAS wanted but couldn't fit a normal rack :(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mgrobins

Nov 28, 2019
Hi,
First post as such. SO much good info here!

Build log for my Rack, NAS and my desktop setup here in my blog (just select the topic you want to see at the top):

Info there on the NAS, making my rack from parts at Bunnings and 2nd hand rack shelves
I'm in Australia so keep that in mind when I mention prices :).

I live in a Townhouse but wanted:
1. centralised Rack for my NAS (x2), UPS, switch, Router,
2. Patch Panel
3. Low noise & power efficient hardware.

I didn't have enough room for a 19" rack structure so this meant that a lot of the 2nd hand enterprise options like the Dell 710 or similar were not possible :/. Same same use of a Norco chasis and cheap server hardware.

I was satisfied with my Synology DS1812+ but needed something with 10Gig and wanted to retire this to a backup role (3-2-1 mindset) as I don't have the upload capability to have a full off-site backup..

My New NAS needed to be not just a NAS but also a kind of DAS setup for my main PC so I was after 10G Base-T connection to run off my existing CAT5e infrastructure at home.

In the end I sold the case mentioned there and shifted all the hardware into a Lian-Li PC-Q26
which is an AMAZING little case that holds 10 3.5" drives with a backplane if you want to fit it for hot-swapping (also room for at least 1 2.5"). I don't see myself selling this one!

I find Synology's DSM great... so using Xpenology has been a convenient option for me with BTRFS.

LIAN LI PC-Q26B Black Computer Case - Newegg.com

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Too bad can't still buy the Lian Li PC-Q35b :/ want to sell you rold one ? :D

Mgrobins

Nov 28, 2019
Too bad can't still buy the Lian Li PC-Q35b :/ want to sell you rold one ? :D
That went very quickly when I advertised it with the bays fitted. It was an awesome case and very compact. Not sure why Lian-Li keeps going EOL on decent designs and punching out the same flashy crap as everyone else. I shudder to think of the day they start throwing terms like RGB and Tactical into their designs :/

About all I have to offer now is an old Mountain Mods U2UFO Horizon case lol. Hardly SFF!