DIY JBOD Chassis. This all I need?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LunchB0xK1ller

Jul 26, 2018
I dont think the duplicator cases will work for me. I have a 13" x 13" space where I'd like to put the case I'm looking for and that's the perfect size for the U-NAS case which is 12.5" wide.
Love them Caselabs cases, I have 7 of them now. Sad they closed down.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So I wound up picking up the Supermicro JBOD power board because my 1U Flex PSU doesn't have an on/off button and I didnt want to have to control power to the unit by plugging in/unplugging the power cable. For now I'm going to run the fans at 100% as they don't seem too loud but I'll get a fan controller if they turn out to be too audible and temps are fine.

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
So I wound up picking up the Supermicro JBOD power board because my 1U Flex PSU doesn't have an on/off button and I didnt want to have to control power to the unit by plugging in/unplugging the power cable. For now I'm going to run the fans at 100% as they don't seem too loud but I'll get a fan controller if they turn out to be too audible and temps are fine.

Look forward to seeing the complete build and parts list. Was any thought given to the SM Board with IPMI built in - CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 - Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 JBOD Power Board - Newegg.com.

Is the power supply you are using one purchased with the 810a chassis? Are you still running the Gelid fans or did you swap with Noctua? What SAS controller are you using in your server to connect up to this box?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Look forward to seeing the complete build and parts list. Was any thought given to the SM Board with IPMI built in - CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 - Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 JBOD Power Board - Newegg.com.

Is the power supply you are using one purchased with the 810a chassis? Are you still running the Gelid fans or did you swap with Noctua? What SAS controller are you using in your server to connect up to this box?
Parts list is pretty much in my OP except I'm using the newer power board. HBA is here. No thought given to that IPMI card because its $120 more and I dont see myself needing IPMI for a JBOD box. I almost didn't even use a power board at all and was just going to hotwire the PSU but then I realized my PSU doesnt have a power button so I didn't want to have to unplug it to turn it off.

Right now I have the stock Gelids. They dont seem too loud even at 100%. I'll see how that goes and can always swap out after the fact. The PSU is a Seasonic 300w Gold PSU that I bought separately.

Last edited:

lumdol

Jun 9, 2016
Appears to me it’s a server connected to a separate JBOD enclosure right next to it.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
am i missing something? building jbod enclosure you dont need hba. unless....you have changed your mind or the build.

can you show us the inside pics?
A JBOD enclosure just houses disks. It needs an HBA in whatever system you are connecting the JBOD chassis to. The HBA is in the watercooled system you see above.

Reactions: nikalai

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
as of now it looks, it is server build. no jbod build
well, calling it a server build is a bit of stretch I think. He repurposed a DIY NAS case to be a DAS using sata-to-sas cables and bridge-head adapter and added one card (the hba) to his existing pc to support external sas connection

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
well, calling it a server build is a bit of stretch I think. He repurposed a DIY NAS case to be a DAS using sata-to-sas cables and bridge-head adapter and added one card (the hba) to his existing pc to support external sas connection
Certainly not enterprise grade hardware but in terms of the amount of services (containers and VMs) I have running on here it's actually quite a powerful "server." :cool: