DIY Epyc Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
I'm working on building an epyc server for a co-location. Originally I was planning on a single socket, 64 core Epyc build, but I searched around and found some cheap dual-socket Epyc motherboards on ebay and kinda started going down the rabbit hole. Looking for a sanity check here or maybe I've come across something decent?

First the motherboard: Supermicro H12DST. It's designed for a 2U, 4 node setup and even runs 7003 Milan processors so this gives me some upgrade paths. Now I just need a power supply and a case? The power supplies are only about $100 used, but the cases designed for these are $3000-5000 ( 2124BT-HTR / 2124BT-HNTR).

Next the chassis: Luckily the 4 node CPU chassis that supermicro sells all seem to be generally the same with minor variations between generations. The Epyc motherboard dimensions are 18.86" x 7.61" (47.9cm x 19.33cm) and the older 2028BT-HTR+ chassis, for example, uses a motherboard that is the exact same dimensions and the power connections seem to be in the same places. So it looks like all I need to make this work is to buy the chassis, install the PSU/Motherboard/CPU, and then I'm in business? The older chassis is still $800, but that's somewhat bearable. I'm still searching for cheaper models but so far this looks doable.

Conclusion: Overall this could save me $500-600 on the motherboard and $100 on a cooler, while giving me dual socket capability and newer Epyc support. I'd also get benefits like hot-swappable PSUs and probably better airflow than my DIY build. The colocation costs would increase since I'd be using a 2U instead of a 1U, but it would also let me install 4 times as much capacity per 1U of space so if I scale up I would have a lot of room to work with.

Attachments

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I find of note that the power inputs are custom and might differ from older models.
That is a thing you need to make sure of!
Worst case would be some undocumented and changed pinout of an otherwhise identical adapter that then fries your system.

quote from the manual:
"2.6 Front Control Panel JF1 contains various buttons and indicators that are normally located on a control panel at the front of the chassis. The JF1 slot is designed specifically for use with riser cards for the Supermicro chassis. Please refer to the manuals provided with the riser card for the pin out information: • BPN-ADP-6SATA3-1UB"

I could not quickly find anything on that card.

Reactions: Andrew_Carr

Andrew_Carr

Mar 18, 2022
"Worst case would be some undocumented and changed pinout of an otherwhise identical adapter that then fries your system."

Hmm... that sounds safe enough! Yeah, I've been trying to track down the backplane adapters online. It looks like that's what goes from the motherboard to the PSU that slides onto it (that's how it is on my current supermicro case as well that's somewhat similar). Like you said though, not sure if they're the same across motherboards or not, so trying to figure that out before buying a used one on ebay. Also realized I'll need the sled that the motherboard mounts to and those go for $150ish/each.