diskspd \ Mass Storage

Discussion in 'Windows Server, Hyper-V Virtualization' started by scj6771, Nov 27, 2019.

1. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Anyone familar with the diskspd utility? I have had success with it testing server storage but how would I test a mass storage device like a SAN\Compellent Storage\Cluster?

Would I run it from a server? If so how would I point diskspd to the corect storage\device?

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

On the san you create a lun. You access that lun through iscsi on your server/workstation. In your server/workstation that lun should appear like a locally connected storage device that you could test with diskspd.

3. scj6771

scj6771 New Member

Thanks for the info! I know the question was a tad vague, the storage in question is indeed clustered Compellent Storage. So I am assuming a mapped drive (if that can even be done) will not do the trick? Looks like iscsi is the way to go.

4. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

iSCSI is only one way to connect to block storage. you may have a LUN presented to your server via fiber channel HBA. then you can get into HBA card settings to help with performance...

Chris