Disks spin up hourly

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
Hi

I have a Hyper-V Server 2016 running various VM's. I have some mechanical HHD's passthrough to one of the VM's. These are placed on a M1015 HBA and spin down fine, using regedit storport/EnableIdlePowerManagement. My problem is that excatly every hour the disks spin up and down again. This happens only when a VM is running on the server, even if it is not the VM that they are passthrough to. My conclusion is therefore that it is the server that for some reason wakes the disks when a VM's are running. I am not able to find out why looking in eventviewer or procmon.

Have you any idea what is causing the server to do this hourly spin up?

The drive are cold storage for my media files, so I really don't want them, to spin up 24 times a day for no reason.

EeyoreDK

Jul 29, 2015
I agree, and it must be related to running VM, because it does not occur if no VM are running. I just can't find anything i logs or Scheduled tasks that indicates what is triggering this. All I can find is that the storport initiates a performance summary, but I cannot figure out the trigger.