Discussion on Commercial Seller Definition Clarification in the FS Forums

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It seems like I have been getting more e-mails on this lately. Generally, I think it is bad practice to comment on this in a public thread but since it will likely end up in a rule clarification, I wanted to put it out there for reference later.

Currently, there is a question of whether selling a volume of gear in the FS/ FT forums qualifies as a commercial seller, and thereby prohibited under rule 9. That rule has been referenced as a "commercial seller" rule in STH terminology.

Our original charter of the FS/ FT forums was for members to sell/ trade items they have. The goal was to prevent the FS/ FT forums from being overrun with listings from every corner of the planet with every hardware imaginable. It was indeed meant to be extremely restrictive. In practice, I think this has generally worked well.

Over time, we started to allow a few commercial posts. The few commercial posters we do allow I have personally spoken with and either myself or another moderator has purchased from them (unsolicited with no ties to STH) and seen operations first-hand. This is not an easy process.

Early rule application was that we used to have people posting $10k of goods in FS, and not posting elsewhere and the treatment was that that put them into a "commercial seller" category.

Established businesses posting get automatically banned. That has kept the signal to noise ratio high in the STH forums. The downside is that it has negatively impacted posts/ day metrics.

I do think we need a rule clarification in this area. I am fairly busy the next few days but will draft and post when I have something decent.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm feeling an opportunity for monetization here.... Wish it were mine. If Commercial Sellers want to offer group buys, discounts and generally obscenely good deals maybe there is an easy monthly payment for them to post in a separate forum group for commercial sellers. On one hand we could have an opportunity to purchase used enterprise hardware somewhere other than flea-bay, the sellers would get access to us and the market maker would get an small income stream that could be used to spend on the forum itself.

On the other hand it could be a big pain in the butt if sellers got out of control or there was an expectation of the forum intervening in buyer/seller issues. In my bimmerforums days I found many a parts vendor or group buy on the forum. I also found a regular parts dealer that could out deliver my local bmw dealership even with the price of shipping from one end of the continent to the other. Which is to suggest that it is possible to do these things well or poorly.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
If you're just here to sell, you aren't a member selling. You're a (small) business that filled a signup form to get free advertising.

It isn't just the legit sellers. It's also that the bad sellers in the forums that sell quantities of stuff from nowhere and scam.

It's also hard to see who's really a big business and who is an individual on forums.

Reactions: DavidRa

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Just not allow new members to sell until a certain number of posts is reached, say 50 or maybe 100 posts.