Disc performace problem on netapp ds2246

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Albert67

Oct 11, 2021
Hello, I have a netapp ds2246 connected to a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1320 M1 (running debian) via a LSI Logic SAS 9200-8E.

On the ds2246 I have installed some Seagate ST5000LM000-2AN170 and some Wester Digital WDC_WD50NPZZ-00A9JT0 disks.

On some of those disk I have performace problem (they are very slow, but no error message in the logs) . But if I remove the slow disk from the netapp Enclosure and connect it directly to the serve internal sata controller the performace are normal.
The strange thing is that this happen only with some drives.
Any idea of why this is happening ?
Regards
Albert

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Check the SATA link speed to the relevant disks? Any chance they are linking at SATA-1 speeds?

Albert67

Oct 11, 2021
I don't think so , I usually test the disks by coping the same (big) quantity of data from a disk to another and usually they start with a decent speed and then they slow down (usually when they have reached 60% of the disk capacity...)
Anyway I can check the sata link speed?
Regards
Albert

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
are all (affected) disks the same brand?
this sounds like cache or RPMs of the drives might be different

Albert67

Oct 11, 2021
mainly the WD are affected (at least 3 of them have some issue) but one Segate ha the same problem. But is very strange that they all work fine if connected directly to the server.
I will try to change the controller / sas cable /and the ds2246.

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
1: I believe you can use LSI Storage Administrator to check link speed, or storcli can probably pull it as well. I can't remember if those work with that controller specifically
2: Does it matter which slot of the DS the drives are in? Internally there are 4 connectors, each running 6 drives. If the cable or a connector has an issue, the probably would be slot dependant

Albert67

Oct 11, 2021
1: I believe you can use LSI Storage Administrator to check link speed, or storcli can probably pull it as well. I can't remember if those work with that controller specifically
2: Does it matter which slot of the DS the drives are in? Internally there are 4 connectors, each running 6 drives. If the cable or a connector has an issue, the probably would be slot dependant
I will try with the suggested tool , and I have tried to move a "slow" drive in the position of a "good" one but the problem is still there. The only thing I have not tryed yet is to change the netapp caddy. I will try that in the next days.
Thanks for the help

Last edited: