DirectFlash Module U.2 Pure Storage

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Physically probably yes, but "dfm" doesn't have a controller. Your software must be able to "talk" to the flash directly...

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
What kind of software that's OS (Windosw or Linux) can talk to DFM directly? PCIe x4 is Direct Connection to U.2 without controller isn't it?

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
I would highly recommend not trying to use that drive with anything other than Pure's software (or something equivalent, but I don't think that exists yet). The way those are architected takes most of the complexity of the SSD controller and firmware and moves it into the software instead. So without that software, you wouldn't have things like error correction, indirection, counting writes per block, remapping of bad blocks, etc. without implementing it yourself. For example, unlike with a regular SSD, when a location wears out, it will just stop working; the drive will not remap it for you. IMO it's a cool architecture in many ways, but the software is actually the most critical component of it. Without that, you will probably wear it out extremely quickly if you manage to make it work at all.

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
Base on these picture, i think DFM nvme of Pure Storage still potentialy to talking with U.2 default interface?

Optane Pure.png

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
This doesn't look like the stuff that purestorage advertises as DirectFlash, it's a "normal" optane.

A directflash module looks like this:

Reactions: NateS

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
I have a Pure at work. From my understanding it's totally proprietary, both in hardware and software. I would doubt you can interface any of the hardware with something off the shelf easily.

PS, I love my Pure.