DirectFlash Module U.2 Pure Storage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
What kind of software that's OS (Windosw or Linux) can talk to DFM directly? PCIe x4 is Direct Connection to U.2 without controller isn't it?

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
I would highly recommend not trying to use that drive with anything other than Pure's software (or something equivalent, but I don't think that exists yet). The way those are architected takes most of the complexity of the SSD controller and firmware and moves it into the software instead. So without that software, you wouldn't have things like error correction, indirection, counting writes per block, remapping of bad blocks, etc. without implementing it yourself. For example, unlike with a regular SSD, when a location wears out, it will just stop working; the drive will not remap it for you. IMO it's a cool architecture in many ways, but the software is actually the most critical component of it. Without that, you will probably wear it out extremely quickly if you manage to make it work at all.

Reactions: EricMarcus

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
Base on these picture, i think DFM nvme of Pure Storage still potentialy to talking with U.2 default interface?

Optane Pure.png

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
I have a Pure at work. From my understanding it's totally proprietary, both in hardware and software. I would doubt you can interface any of the hardware with something off the shelf easily.

PS, I love my Pure.

Reactions: EricMarcus

EricMarcus

Oct 12, 2021
I found this post as I have this question, too. I've not succeeded yet but have only just started to try.

I have a Pure 1.1tb flash module, it does have a U.2 connector so I put it on a PCIE adapter card I've used with Intel 750 series NVME U.2 SSD's and put it in my computer.

The PC has a ASrock C236M workstation motherboard, it supports NVME just fine.

So, the flash module is recognized in Bios as the full capacity of more than 2tb. It's recognized in Windows but, although I can clean it in DiskPart, I can't create a partition, there's an error indicating the sector size is 4096 instead of the more normal 512.

I've seen this before and there are linux tools to reformat devices to the sector size of your choice. The tools I've used were SG3_Utils to reformat SAS SSD's (from a 3PAR SAN) from 520 to 512.

So I booted to an Ubuntu USB stick, downloaded the tools and started trying to do things. The tools are very granular, lots of command line switches.

I'll continue to try as it's fun and I'm learning stuff but I suspect NateS above is right and I should not expect to get this working as a PC-based storage device. Pity as it looks the business.

If anyone else has any ideas then please add to the post.

broadband

Dec 24, 2020
I have a Pure at work. From my understanding it's totally proprietary, both in hardware and software. I would doubt you can interface any of the hardware with something off the shelf easily.

PS, I love my Pure.
Now, i'm agree with u... this shit cannot be formatted!

Regards,
Irfan

Attachments