Different Power Supplies

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 30, 2016
So, I've been looking at some boards. I really would like to build a quad socket / 8 socket, quiet server. (Lga 2011). Looking at the available motherboards, I notice that the ones that use what appears to use an ATX power supply have 4 8pin cpu power inputs. Where do I find such a powersupply?

Also, there are some blade server boards for considerably cheaper, but of course it has a blade server power socket. is there any way to get something that plugs into that port? I assume its only 12 volts. it looks so simple, but the last thing I want to do is buy a blade server enclosure costing thousands of dollars. If anyone knows what that connector is, that could be really helpful. (For some reason I can't upload pictures of this)

Dropbox - option1.png

I'm running 120v, I can upgrade my condo to have a 240v circuit.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Quad/Octo socket and quiet? On the CeBIT 2016 supermicro had such a system and it used 5 10k+ RPM fans for cooling. Definitely not quiet!

Edit: Autocorrect on the phone

Jun 30, 2016
Making it quiet isn't really the hard part right now, huge heatsinks, quiet fans will do the trick just fine. Sourcing components is rather difficult, as even finding motherboards is rather costly, and powering them looks to be difficult or requires custom wiring. Unfortunately that blade server has proprietary pci express connectors. It seems like if this is something that's going to be done, I'll have to wire up a power supply.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
i have never seen a consumer power supply with 4 EATX12v plugs, but I do know you can power 1 computer for 2 power supplies with 2 each. This would obviously be a frakenstein build, probably best avoided

Jun 30, 2016
Yeah, you can do that. Probably not worth the risk. I know I need 4x CPU ports, so either I find the right supermicro PSU, or I get a consumer one and split each CPU output into two CPU 8 pin plugs. I don't know if that's a good idea though. It is my understanding that they pull from the same 12v rail, so I wouldn't think it matters if it's split, but there might be other intricacies.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
It is pretty easy to find supplies with 2 x EPS/ATX12v plugs and 2 x PCIe plugs. It is not hard to make an adapter to convert from 8 pin PCIe to 8 pin ATX12v although to be pedantic the ATX12v plug is rated at more power than the PCIe plug. That difference, in practice, is unlikely to be an issue. Converting the 8 pin PCIe to an 8 pin ATX12v gives you three power conductors per ATX12v plug. Splitting one 8 pin ATX12v plug to two only has two power conductors per resulting ATX12v which I would not all that comfortable with unless you are using low power processors ( < 100w each)

Otherwise, look for a server power supply from the likes of supermicro on ebay.