Different disk sets for Proxmox Ceph pools?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
So I'm using Proxmox VE 5.4. I have a Ceph cluster made up of hard drives with some SSDs for caching. Great!

I've also got a bunch of NVMe SSDs across the nodes. There are too many for simply being used as cache devices. I want to use them as an all-NVMe Ceph pool.

If I add them to the Ceph by adding OSD via CLI or GUI I'm getting them added to the main pool.

Is there a way to add NVMe devices to a different set in a different pool so they're not combined with the slower pool?

MikeWebb

Jan 28, 2018
I see that ceph now has a nvme, ssd and hdd type. a quick google resulted in a few hits that showed how to create crushmaps and rules for device type pools. Sorry I can't help more, I'm trying to not go down toooo far the ceph rabbit hole. I'm focusing on OSD nodes with mixed ssd and hdd but sounds like issues needing similar solutions.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think @MikeWebb has the right idea for now.

I agree @chilipepperz that Ceph admin in Proxmox having a feature like this would be useful. Ceph handles tiering, but if you want to explicitly play with this, you need to go outside the normal offering.