Differences Behind 100GBASE-SR4 and 100GBASE-LR4 Optics

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Is the picture of the 100GBase-SR4 really that? I see only 2 pairs of fibers, not 4. I'm not home so can't inspect a 40G module.

EDIT: here is a picture of my 40G moduleIMG_3350_c.jpg

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
@Patrick are all MTP transceivers male? My 40G transceiver is male. I had assumed they were female. This would mean if I want to connect a trunk directly to a transceiver, they would need to have male connectors so all patch cords connecting to them directly would be female.

I haven't purchased any LC breakout cassettes yet but its datasheet states its MTP connector is pinned. Which means if I want to split them out I would need female on both trunks.

If I want a universal trunk, they would need to be female. And I would need male/female patch cords instead of male/male or female/female. Male connect to trunk, female connect to transceiver.

Am I missing something here?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@cactus I have not seen those in a long time

@klui #1 they link up at the correct speeds over MPO/ MTP so I assume so.

@klui #2 The trunk cables are usually female. Cassettes are usually male. Male-Male can cause damage because the pins hit one another. Male-Female uses the pins to guide the connectors in place. Female-Female "can" work, but is usually not what you want.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
The dilemma I have is

Trunk (female) ...... Transceiver (male)
Trunk (female) ...... MPO/MTP coupler ...... Transceiver (male)
Trunk (female) ...... LC breakout (male)

In order to connect to the first 2 scenarios above I would need a patch cord that's male on one end (to trunk) and female the other (to transceiver). I was hoping patch cords would either be male or female both ends.

If I want patch cords to be the same both ends, my trunks would be male both ends and I need another cord that's female both ends to go from trunk to LC breakout. I don't plan on having breakout cassettes but if I need to in the future I need to get the right connector.

What's the best practice? How are your MPO/MTP patch cords configured?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like the simplest for me is to have my trunks male-male. Then all my MPO/MTP patch cords can be female-female mating with LC breakout cassettes and transceivers. I just need an additional patch cord connecting the trunk to the LC cassette. It's also relatively simple to change the connector's gender and key.

Last edited: