Did I mess up? i350-T4 and H110 chipset

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

still_learning

Jun 22, 2017
I wanted try to all the flavors of edge software (Untangle, Sophos XG, pfSense, OPNsense), and I set out to build one:

Optiplex 3040 (Manual, Specs start on page 41):
-Intel H110 Chipset, supports PCIe v2.0 (Link)
-i5-6500, supports PCIe v3.0 (Link)
-Two PCIe slots (x1 and x16)

Dell i350-T4
-PCIe v2.1 (afaik)
-I wanted to post a link to the Intel site, but wasn't able to find i350-T4 on the Intel website. Only i350-T4v2. Am I just missing something?
-Also, I won't have the part number until it arrives, but THIS amazing STH thread has all the NIC goodies.

The CPU supports PCIe v3.0, but the chipset only supports PCIe v2.0. So, my questions are thus:
  • Using the x1 slot, does the card still work? Does I lose functionality? Will it be unstable? etc...
  • Using the x16 slot, do those lanes hang off the CPU directly and benefit from PCIe v3.0(or does the chipset downrank the slot)? If v3.0, since the configurations are (1x16, 2x8, 1x8+2x4), would it work? Also, I've heard that lane is specifically for GPUs, is that true?
  • Should I ante up for an Optiplex 7040 with Q170 chipset (not much more)?
  • And....did I mess up? hehe

If you all would like my thought process for my picks, let me know! It might be helpful someone else. I just didn't want to crowd the post.

*edit* typos

Last edited:

still_learning

Jun 22, 2017
Hello @still_learning o/

The card will not physically fit into the x1 slot.

The card should work fine in the X16 slot. It will however work at 2.0 x4 .

Best regards

Thank you! I hate to ask this after you've taken the time to answer my question. But is there a handy resource to know that the x16 slot isn't under direct control of the CPU? It may seem obvious >< I just didn't know

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
You did mess up, but not for the reason you might think, you messed up because you did not get something for us, we demand a tribute ;)

As for the x16 slot the lanes will come from the CPU, the link you provided for the chipset mentions that it only has 6 lanes, so the lanes will have to come from the CPU.
I see no obvious reason why you couldn't install that NIC in there (you may want to ensure that you get low profile brackets with that NIC), but obviously there are no guarantees in life (stupid BIOS issues happen).

Reactions: still_learning

still_learning

Jun 22, 2017
@68k-dude @RTM

Thank you both!

I'm feel bad saying this, but the original post was done right before the package got here and before there were any responses. I called and asked if I could return and get an Optiplex7040 (I thought I had made a mistake ><). I feel bad after you both spent time answering my questions, but I wanted to be honest about it.

As tribute and penance, I will post the results of using an i350-T4 in an Opitplex 7040 and if I run into an issues with Untange/pfSense/Sophos/OPNsense :p In case anyone's searching and has similar questions