Desperately seeking SlimSAS SFF-8654 to SFF-8087 cables

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by KC@Gadgetblues, Jan 22, 2018.

1. KC@Gadgetblues

KC@Gadgetblues New Member

All I need to complete my Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 EPYC build is 4 SlimSAS SFF-8654 to SFF-8087 cables to plug into my SuperMicro direct-attach backplane.

There are plenty of these cables in searches, but they all trace back to the same Chinese supplier Chenyang which ships direct out of Shenzhen with a delivery date as late as March. I ordered some just in case, but I really would like to get it running sooner than March :) So any suggestions appreciated.

2. Stefan75

Stefan75 Member

This SFF-8654 is quite exotic, it's not listed in the SAS wiki.
    There are even PCIe cards with this connector, but they're not for SAS/SATA. :eek:
    China might be your only option.

btw. cool mainboard.. 128PCI lanes!

3. KC@Gadgetblues

KC@Gadgetblues New Member

Thanks - Luckily the cables arrived in only 10 days instead of the worst-case March estimate.

I think the reason they are so rare is that SFF-8087 is technically "N-2" so there are plenty of SFF-8654 to the previous SFF-8643 but not to SFF-8087. SFF-8087 only supports 6Gb/s but that's all I care about since I'm using SATA devices (and all that my backplane supports anyhow).

4. DELRAYDATA

DELRAYDATA New Member

hi there = i saw these on ebay - i was watching the seller for other stuff . the seller is in Florida. the item number is eBay item number: 323015028416. i dont see it now but they didnt sell- i m still watching the item for relist.

5. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Nah, sff-8087 is just a connector. It says nothing about the bandwidth you could use. Supermicro "a" backplanes have that connector and they work without problems with 12gbit hdds/ssds & hbas/raid controllers.