Desperate search for Arista EOS firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
Does anyone have versions 4.25 or newer? Also, can anyone confirm these newer firmware versions work on DCS-7050QX-32S ?

Cheers

Jelle458

Oct 4, 2022
Thank you! I'll fire up it up now and give it a go :)
Were you every able to get it running?

I have the exact same problem. I have two switches of DCS-7280QRA-C36S which are newer switches but they came with cleared software for some reason, so it boots directly to Aboot.

I have tried many different images, but I found that it was 4.20.10M that was on there from the start. When I start it, it tells me that EOS-4.20.10M.swi was not found and it cannot boot, checking the flash, or any folder in the switch, I see no Arista EOS images.
Any image I've tried (and it's a lot by now) ranging from 4.20.15M to 4.28.3M all comes up with failure on NorCal initialization, and I think this is actually the problem.

Like yours, my switch cannot see itself, or anything connected to it. When I write show environment power it returns with "There doesn't seem to be any connected power supplies" which is kinda funny, but also kinda sad.

What I haven't tried is 4.20.10M because it is impossible to find, but I tried 4.19.10M and 4.20.15M, and a 4.20.5F that I found somewhere.

Pretty desperate at this point, as it's two pretty expensive paper weights.

I hope someone who knows something can help!

EDIT:
A dump from the console showing this:

Code:
Aboot# boot /mnt/flash/vEOS-lab-4.19.10M.swi
[   88.449620] Starting new kernel
[    1.757092] Running dosfsck on: /mnt/flash
[    2.494636] Running dosfsck on: /mnt/usb1
Data in /mnt/flash/vEOS-lab-4.19.10M.swi differs from previous boot image on /mnt/flash.
Saving new boot image to /mnt/flash...
Switching rootfs

Welcome to Arista Networks EOS 4.19.10M
New seat seat0.
[  OK  ] ConnMgr: Starting TimeAgent: [  OK  ]
[  OK  ]
Starting ProcMgr: [  OK  ]
Starting EOS initialization stage 1: [  OK  ]
Starting NorCal initialization: [FAILED]
   (errors in /var/log/NorCalIni[   82.669906] systemd[1]: Failed to start NorCal systemd service..
t and /mnt/flash/debug/NorCalInit; log in as 'root' to troubleshoot)
Starting EOS initialization stage 2: [  OK  ]
Starting Power On Self Test (POST): [  OK  ]
Completing EOS initialization (press ESC to skip): [  OK  ]
Model and Serial Number: unknown
System RAM: 32463788 kB
Flash Memory size:  3.7G

localhost login: admin
localhost>ena
localhost#show inventory
System information
  Model                    Description
  ------------------------ ----------------------------------------------------

HW Version  Serial Number  Mfg Date   Epoch
  ----------- -------------- ---------- -----

System has 1 port
  Type             Count
  ---------------- ----
  Management       1

System has eMMC flash
  Model                Serial Number       Rev       Size (GB)
  -------------------- ------------------- --------- ---------
  Toshiba 008G70       aba62a67            0.0       4

localhost#show environment power
% There seem to be no power supplies connected.

Last edited:

Marc_

Always a school day
Jul 22, 2022
Were you every able to get it running?

I have the exact same problem. I have two switches of DCS-7280QRA-C36S which are newer switches but they came with cleared software for some reason, so it boots directly to Aboot.

I have tried many different images, but I found that it was 4.20.10M that was on there from the start. When I start it, it tells me that EOS-4.20.10M.swi was not found and it cannot boot, checking the flash, or any folder in the switch, I see no Arista EOS images.
Any image I've tried (and it's a lot by now) ranging from 4.20.15M to 4.28.3M all comes up with failure on NorCal initialization, and I think this is actually the problem.

Like yours, my switch cannot see itself, or anything connected to it. When I write show environment power it returns with "There doesn't seem to be any connected power supplies" which is kinda funny, but also kinda sad.

What I haven't tried is 4.20.10M because it is impossible to find, but I tried 4.19.10M and 4.20.15M, and a 4.20.5F that I found somewhere.

Pretty desperate at this point, as it's two pretty expensive paper weights.

I hope someone who knows something can help!
I did manage to get it running . I've had a play about with a few of the arista range now (not had one of yours yet) and what software they will take seems to be a little inconsistant. From reading what happens when you start the switch it seems like it is not writing it to the flash? How are you trying to upload the firmware? I use a USB on power on to auto load the firmware to mine and I've had no issues other that it not like a revision.

Jelle458

Oct 4, 2022
I did manage to get it running . I've had a play about with a few of the arista range now (not had one of yours yet) and what software they will take seems to be a little inconsistant. From reading what happens when you start the switch it seems like it is not writing it to the flash? How are you trying to upload the firmware? I use a USB on power on to auto load the firmware to mine and I've had no issues other that it not like a revision.
Thank you very much for your response.

I basically take the image, and copy it from a USB with:
cp /mnt/usb1/image.swi /mnt/flash

After I do:
boot /mnt/flash/image.swi

Perhaps I am doing it the wrong way then?

When starting it is writing:
Code:
Data in /mnt/flash/vEOS-lab-4.19.10M.swi differs from previous boot image on /mnt/flash.
Switching rootfs
Maybe these switches are picky about software, but 4.20.15M over 4.20.10M doesn't seem like it should be a problem. Pulling my hair out at this point :confused:

Marc_

Always a school day
Jul 22, 2022

After I do:

Code:
Switching rootfs
Maybe these switches are picky about software, but 4.20.15M over 4.20.10M doesn't seem like it should be a problem. Pulling my hair out at this point :confused:
That looks to be vEOS firmware not EOS? Is that definitely what was on the switch originally?

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

After I do:

Code:
Switching rootfs
you're trying to boot vEOS on an actual switch lmao

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
To expand more on the vEOS issue, the virtual images for lab use are like half the size of the actual EOS images because all the bits to support real switching hardware are not present.

Arista keeps pretty tight control of full EOS images; anybody can create an Arista account and get access to the vEOS images for lab practice.

Jelle458

Oct 4, 2022
That looks to be vEOS firmware not EOS? Is that definitely what was on the switch originally?
I honestly had no idea that was the case. That is probably the reason why it isn't working. I am very new to Arista and this is the first time ever that I actually touched this stuff.

I created an account on arista.com and added the serial number as requested, pressed on software download and got the vEOS softwares so I figured that was the correct one.

So I guess I'll have to go in shady places to get supported software for this, as I tried the ones in this thread but the switch said it was unsupported software.

you're trying to boot vEOS on an actual switch lmao
As mentioned above I didn't find information that this could be the case.

To expand more on the vEOS issue, the virtual images for lab use are like half the size of the actual EOS images because all the bits to support real switching hardware are not present.

Arista keeps pretty tight control of full EOS images; anybody can create an Arista account and get access to the vEOS images for lab practice.
This was not written anywhere that I looked, so I probably looked in the wrong places. I was just sure it was the correct images as I wrote the serial number down for the switch, and the website accepted this.

Thanks to all of you, now the hunt for actual images begins!

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I honestly had no idea that was the case. That is probably the reason why it isn't working. I am very new to Arista and this is the first time ever that I actually touched this stuff.

I created an account on arista.com and added the serial number as requested, pressed on software download and got the vEOS softwares so I figured that was the correct one.

So I guess I'll have to go in shady places to get supported software for this, as I tried the ones in this thread but the switch said it was unsupported software.

As mentioned above I didn't find information that this could be the case.

This was not written anywhere that I looked, so I probably looked in the wrong places. I was just sure it was the correct images as I wrote the serial number down for the switch, and the website accepted this.

Thanks to all of you, now the hunt for actual images begins!
Just pm me

IronAddict

Jul 3, 2021
Just joined with a similar issue .. new "used" switch ... trying to get Aboot as i need to reset the switch since the Login/Password appears set but i didn't get that info (ugh) ... I did DL your files and greatly appreciate it -- of course i still cant load unless i know the Login/Pass ... thank you for sharing that link ... greatly appreciated!!!

Foray

May 22, 2016
Just joined with a similar issue .. new "used" switch ... trying to get Aboot as i need to reset the switch since the Login/Password appears set but i didn't get that info (ugh) ... I did DL your files and greatly appreciate it -- of course i still cant load unless i know the Login/Pass ... thank you for sharing that link ... greatly appreciated!!!
Try this to recover from ABOOT password.

IronAddict

Jul 3, 2021
Try this to recover from ABOOT password.

Worked like a charm!!!! Thank You .. simple enough as i should have paid attention to the boot screen on the 1st line. <face palm> now on to more challenging stuff .. like networking at 40gbe AND ya as every poster noted the jet engine noise .. the wife isn't thrilled about the jet engine sound emanating from the server closet next to her home office ... oddly she doesn't find it soothing like i do <sarcasm>

Thanks again ... all the posters here are excellent and appreciated of sharing of their knowledge and experiences.