Desktop UPS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
I need a desktop UPS replacement.
Originally I had APC Smart UPS 1000 (or something) die on me about two years ago that was just four years old or so (annoying, it was expensive), and I just replaced it with this small one I had stashed away. This one died too. I hoped the battery went bad, but I bought a new one and it's not charging. Meh.
I think I'm done with APC.

Anyway.
I was warned against Cyberpower by someone from APC authorized service centre (they don't do just APC there, more like every brand out there), so that's out of the question.
I don't feel like wasting money on APC again after this, so what's left? Eaton? That's the only other brand I know. Any ideas about this one?
Also I'd prefer to buy used one.

It doesn't even have to be extremely powerful, my PC draws like under 400W even when I'm gaming (still on 1080P and an older graphic card).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have half-dozen APC lower end units (IE: Not Rack $800+ units) some of which are 10 years old, one lives in my mud room and is covered in dust\dirt and water droplets as it's near where dishes are moved to\from... the only thing I've had to do is replace batteries. I think maybe you just had a bad unit.

I have 2 or 3 CyberPower too -- for their capacity they last a very very short amount of time it's as-if the battery they came with are at 50% what they should be :( They work, but they sure don't last nearly as long as equally sized APC units.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I've been quite happy with my Liebert (now Vertiv) UPS units. Pretty great warranty (overnighted me a replacement) that even covers batteries.

Reactions: Angus

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
For whatever N=1 is worth, been using an Eaton Ellipse ECO 1600 since 2014. Works on Linux too. Noiseless when idle. Small unit. Quite a few sockets.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
Is power factor important at all?
I've just found out that most stuff out there is 0,6, and even the APC SMT1000I that died on me two years ago that cost me a small fortune (for desktop use) only was 0,7.

I'm going through Eeaton's 5 line models now. No idea how to choose.

PedroP

Feb 28, 2021
Portugal
Have you check your electric installation, specially if the ground wires are well bolted ? With time they tend to get loose.

Your average lifetime for UPS is really low. I have HP T1500 XR UPS wick is over 10 year old, only really need to replace batteries and dust off the thing.

For me APC and Cyberpower are really overrated. Next time try a older UPS and stay way from passive models. Take a look at this site https://www.hardwareinsights.com/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/

I need a desktop UPS replacement.
Originally I had APC Smart UPS 1000 (or something) die on me about two years ago that was just four years old or so (annoying, it was expensive), and I just replaced it with this small one I had stashed away. This one died too. I hoped the battery went bad, but I bought a new one and it's not charging. Meh.
I think I'm done with APC.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I had an old UPS that lasted one bad surge. But it saved my hardware. My current cyberpower has lasted 5 years and numerous cycles, pretty good for the price point. We lose power pretty frequently and it gives me enough time to shut down my server and then run the WiFi for 90 minutes.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
APC are still king. I have not seen a lot of them fail in 30+ years of IT work.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
APC are still king. I have not seen a lot of them fail in 30+ years of IT work.
What is your depreciation and retirement schedule on the APC units. I find the APC units wear out around 10 years or when the second replacement battery wears out. You might not be seeing them fail because corporate policy surpluses them before they wear out.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Add a note on cyberpower's desktop UPS: It is possible a same model number of a cyberpower desktop UPS changes its battery design after 4-5 years. I have met a such model when I tried to buy a new replacement battery for it but failed to put it into the UPS. The design changed. Finally go for a new UPS.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
The average age of my APC Back UPS Pro units is 8 years. The only time I’ve had UPS fail was when they were brand new, otherwise once when I accidentally shorted a terminal while servicing a unit’s battery. The new APC sine wave desktop models had some new unit failures early on once they went into backup mode — I usually test units first for this. It could happen to any UPS. Had this happen with an Eaton and a CyberPower as well.