desktop upgrade to workstation - advice needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
ive been using this i5 haswell with 16gb ram since 2013 and im looking for advice on what kind of older and used hardware i can cheaply cobble together as a replacement. my current setup and use is running 3 monitors off my RX470 GPU, heavy browser use with tons of tabs/youtube/PWAs, dev environment, and VMs. i do very little to no gaming. i mainly run KDE Neon but have a dual boot setup with win10 for fusion 360.

i guess my requirements would be something with at least 64gb of ram and something that can perform equally or better than than the i5 haswell. i dont really care if its a server mobo based but i already have dual opteron boards that i wouldnt touch because they have crazy idle wattage. id say DDR3 and PCI-E 3.0 would be a base as well.

i see so many version of SM boards and Intel CPUs that im not really sure where to start.

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
trying to keep things as inexpensive as possible, would it be a bad idea to go with an HP Z440 workstation board(specs)? would probably put 2 or 4 DDR4-2133P PC4-17000 16GB sticks in it. not sure about the CPU. im just looking to see if i can get a system better than my i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 16gb of ram. my use is heavy browsing/videos and dev stuffs with vscode and some compiling. i do run VMs and would like to not have to dual boot win10 but run it reliably in a VM from my linux desktop.

things that i think are important are USB 3, PCI-e 3, and a lot more ram than i currently have. im trying to keep the build below $300.