Designating Boot Drive or Array on Areca 1880i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Designating Boot Drive or Array

I read the manual for the 1880i and I cannot figure how the boot drive or array is designated.

My MB boot bios only shows 1 Areca device and I have no idea which drive or array is selected.

Also can the bios on the controller be turned off if you don't want use the controller as a boot device?

Can someone enlighten me?

jtlarson

Apr 7, 2011
I don't know what your disk config is, but I boot off a SSD connected to port 1, and have 7 disks in a raid 5 for data--all connected to an 1880i.

The single drive I configured as a 'passthrough' device--I can't verify now, but I think it might have been under the 'physical devices' menu--this became volume 0. I configured the RAID array second, and assigned it as volume 1. Once the single device and the raid volume were configured in the Areca BIOS, I just needed to configure boot priority via the motherboard BIOS to get everything working, and there they were listed as separate nodes of the Areca 1880i.