der8auer combines a NUC 9 Compute Unit with a normal ATX motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Waing for chinese clones in this form factor, they successfully cloned NUCs long time ago

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
i see he is tapeing out some pci-e connectors of nuc-unit. how does he do that ?? with what material ?? just an ordinary transparant tape, used in any household ??
I'm guessing kapton tape, normally used for masking off parts that shouldn't be heated as much while soldering.

edit: Good to note is that this tape both heat and electrically isolating which makes it good for this usage.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hah, with Apple transitioning to ARM, this could be the new Mac DOS card - anyone remember those? Apple would only be too happy to sell you a $995 card to support BootCamp :p :D

• Haha
Reactions: Vit K and nasi

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
This seems like a good way for a hobbyist to add compute performance over time while maintaining a small form factor. A couple ATX boxes with a primary system and 2/3 add-in NUCs would make for some powerful compute, relative to size/cost.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Anyone else has a problem with the stupid clickbait title?

I mean the whole project is nothing burger - he just just powered the unit from another motherboard - whoopty doo.
But the title is specially immature and off-putting.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Anyone else has a problem with the stupid clickbait title?

I mean the whole project is nothing burger - he just just powered the unit from another motherboard - whoopty doo.
But the title is specially immature and off-putting.
It's Youtube, of course he has to pander to the algorithm/normies watching him otherwise he wouldn't get any views.