Deploying a Service Using Portainer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JazzFaucet

May 19, 2017
Hi All.

Having dipped my toe into the world of docker with Patrick's Monero miner, I am now keen to try and deploy it across a swarm using Portainer. The problem is, I am having trouble figuring out exactly how to create the necessary service. It should just be a matter of taking the command line information from this post and sticking it in the right place on the Portainer "Create service" page, but something is going awry. Here is what I am entering:

Name: Monero
Image: monero_cpu_minergate:latest
Registry: servethehome
Command: -itd -e username=example@example.com

My email address is substituted for the placeholder above. Can someone please hit me with the clue-bat and tell me what I am doing wrong? I have one manager (a machine too prehistoric to support AES, and thus set to drain) and one worker. I can run the docker container directly on the worker no problem, so it has to be something to do with the way I am setting up the service. Right?

Last edited:

JazzFaucet

May 19, 2017
Problem Solved.

Having had a careful look at the flags that are passed when running the container on the worker (that is, "-itd -e") I realized that the username/email address is being passed as an environment variable. Remove the malarkey I had in the command field, define a suitable environment variable, and presto! Everything seems to work.

Last edited: