Dell XPS 13 7390, rather unimpressive battery life with Ubuntu 20.04 as OS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Any others running linux as primary desktop OS on laptops? maybe some tips to help the battery last that little bit longer?, really don't want to go back to Bindows.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not the answer you want to hear but whenever they get proper saving even close to being kind of ok in the Linux kernel there is a major regression. With it (Linux of all flavors) being less than 2% market share of desktop usage and even MacOS being anywhere from 10-18% depending which data is used you can see how it’s not not being paid attention to.
(Note we are talking desktop usage not total or servers where the story is completely different)

Windows does have the Linux subsystem ?? Or run some VM’s ? Or go to MacOS that has a good GNU userland

Afraid I gave up using Linux as a desktop OS long ago, wasn’t worth fighting with it every other day. Dell offer the XPS in Linux version so I guess if you stick to their install it must work ok on that’s specific hardware and version.

Reactions: Dreece

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I wish I could get my 7390 to burn through a charge without crashing several times. There is an obvious hardware problem, and Dell refuses to do anything more than refer me to their paid, non-refundable, software troubleshooting.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I haven't had any crashes, it's running rock solid here, mind you I don't have much installed. I am using Vmware workstation for Linux on it with a windows guest just for a few other tools, but I mainly VPN in to my VPS which then routes through to my rack where I RDP via Remmina to a full Windows desktop where I can work remotely on Adobe products and Lightwave when out on the go as well as another 24/7 Windows VM running the usual culprits like Office/VS etc, the laptop itself has it easy.

Only went with Ubuntu because quite frankly fed up with Windows, and I find RDP more than satisfactory for remote working. My 7390 is but a glorified web browser and thin-client.

@StevenDTX - just for curiosity sake, what OS and apps you running?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I haven't had any crashes, it's running rock solid here, mind you I don't have much installed. I am using Vmware workstation for Linux on it with a windows guest just for a few other tools, but I mainly VPN in to my VPS which then routes through to my rack where I RDP via Remmina to a full Windows desktop where I can work remotely on Adobe products and Lightwave when out on the go as well as another 24/7 Windows VM running the usual culprits like Office/VS etc, the laptop itself has it easy.

Only went with Ubuntu because quite frankly fed up with Windows, and I find RDP more than satisfactory for remote working. My 7390 is but a glorified web browser and thin-client.

@StevenDTX - just for curiosity sake, what OS and apps you running?
Windows 10, both 1909 and 2004. Completely random lockup. Doesnt matter which apps are open. I only use this for Outlook, Firefox and occasionally a PowerShell script. I am pretty sure the Intel 7600 SSD is defective. I put a Samsung 870 Pro in it, and it locks up way less. However, I still get random lockups.

Dell support is absolutely worthless.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Checked mine, and it's a Kioxia NVME in there apparently. I thought the 7390 had soldered drives and ram? so we can change our drives??

chip

Jun 21, 2018
Checked mine, and it's a Kioxia NVME in there apparently. I thought the 7390 had soldered drives and ram? so we can change our drives??
RAM is soldered, but the drive appears to be an m.2 2280 user-replaceable unit: XPS 13 7390 Service Manual

edit: unless you're talking about the "XPS 13 Inch 7390 2-in-1" (which does have a soldered SSD), and not the "XPS 13 Inch 7390" which are different models.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Any others running linux as primary desktop OS on laptops? maybe some tips to help the battery last that little bit longer?
I don't use an XPS but I do have debian on my Dell Battery life isn't as good as Dell says it us, but then it never is - I've never used it under windows. First step is usually identifying what programs or components are using the power using utils like powertop, but I suspect if you're using VMware workstation your CPU and storage might never be getting to idle due to activity from the VMs (NVME in particular can be a big power drain if it's never dropping in to idle mode).

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I installed Slimbook on the laptop, already making a big difference.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:slimbook/slimbook

sudo apt update

sudo apt install slimbookbattery