EU Dell Wyse 7010 Thin Client w/PCIe slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Too bad this is so bulky in phy size.. would love to play around with one of the units

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Neat! I actually use the non-pci slot one as my main system since I rdp into everything. :)

Mine is the single core processor version which is only slightly slower, but I can tell you the that even the dual-core cpu lacks a lot of what you really want when compared to the GX series found in the t620:
PassMark - CPU Comparison AMD G-T56N vs AMD G-T52R vs AMD GX-217GA SOC
PassMark - CPU Comparison AMD G-T56N vs AMD G-T52R vs AMD GX-415GA SOC

Dell makes a unit with a GX series processor, but I'm not sure if they make one with a pci slot like this unit. Of course, I never heard of this unit before and I researched this series up and down before so it might exist and be a nice cheap little unicorn!

All this being said, these are neat units for certain applications and there's a few stateside as well:
WYSE Dell Zx0D 7010 AMD G-T56N 1.65 GHz 2GB RAM Thin Client 20DJ1 FREE SHIPPING | eBay
Dell Wyse Zx0D 7010 AMD G-T56N 1.65 GHz DDR3 SDRAM Thin Client 20DJ1+device only | eBay

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Neat! I actually use the non-pci slot one as my main system since I rdp into everything. :)

Mine is the single core processor version which is only slightly slower, but I can tell you the that even the dual-core cpu lacks a lot of what you really want when compared to the GX series found in the t620:
PassMark - CPU Comparison AMD G-T56N vs AMD G-T52R vs AMD GX-217GA SOC
PassMark - CPU Comparison AMD G-T56N vs AMD G-T52R vs AMD GX-415GA SOC

Dell makes a unit with a GX series processor, but I'm not sure if they make one with a pci slot like this unit. Of course, I never heard of this unit before and I researched this series up and down before so it might exist and be a nice cheap little unicorn!

All this being said, these are neat units for certain applications and there's a few stateside as well:
WYSE Dell Zx0D 7010 AMD G-T56N 1.65 GHz 2GB RAM Thin Client 20DJ1 FREE SHIPPING | eBay
Dell Wyse Zx0D 7010 AMD G-T56N 1.65 GHz DDR3 SDRAM Thin Client 20DJ1+device only | eBay
Ah, yes. The Dell AMD thin client lines - possibly one of the most confusing product lines known to the universe. If you want to buy one to play around with, I would advise against the "DX0D/ZX0D" series (those are all first-gen AMD G-series and useless for most purposes). Consider instead the DX0q/ZX0q series, which run on the GX415GA/GX420CA series (analogue to the t620/t620 plus), but they don't have PCIe as far as I can tell. There is one model from their Wyse 5070 line that supports PCIe, (Dell Wyse 5070 Extendable) but it's based on the Intel Celeron J4005/Pentium Silver J5005 (which has several setbacks, namely DDR4 RAM, 32GB RAM ceiling, and uncertain VT-d support, it's theoretically supported in hardware. They are about the same in terms of CPU firepower and capabilities as the GX420CA, though). Would be interesting if it can do ARI addressing, this could potentially be the cheap quiet SRIOV capable hypervising router that people are looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
According to PassMark, the performance of the J5005 is twice as high as the GX-420CA and slightly higher than the RX-427BBB (T730).

Are these numbers somehow skewed or I haven't taken something into account.
It's more like numbers drifting.
- The AMD pre-Ryzen APUs tend to have higher numbers before the Spectre fixes gimped them across the line (the RX427BB used to be quoted at ~3300 CPUMarks up to a year ago)

Intel Passmark scores tends to creep up while AMD tends to creep down - I wonder if Futuremark has a history of cooking the books to favor Intel?

- The numbers quoted for the Pentium J5005 were much lower back 6 months ago due to less number of samples reporting back to FutureMark - I think STH reviewed the chip and compared it to the X3421...which isn't too bad. Of course, it's still a Pentium J5005. Considering that HP t640s with Ryzen Embedded R1505s are available on eBay US for roughly 175-200 on best offers (yes, at least several people here landed it at that price), you would go Ryzen unless you plan to transcode video on it. AMD's VCN on the Ryzens are not that great.

That being said, only the Wyse 5070 Extended thin client has the PCIe slot - otherwise you are really just better off getting an HP t640 thin client, or a Lenovo m715q thin client. Of course, the interesting question to ask is...do you think this 90 dollar Wyse 5070 is the extended model with the riser inside..?

Last edited:
Reactions: hk92doom and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
According to PassMark, the performance of the J5005 is twice as high as the GX-420CA and slightly higher than the RX-427BBB (T730).

Are these numbers somehow skewed or I haven't taken something into account.
Nope, that's probably no surprise either considering the 420ca based TCs typically ran win7 whereas the newer ones ran win10 and needed 'moar powa' to feel as fast or faster than the older win7 ones.

Reactions: hk92doom

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Nope, that's probably no surprise either considering the 420ca based TCs typically ran win7 whereas the newer ones ran win10 and needed 'moar powa' to feel as fast or faster than the older win7 ones.
I think it’s more due to the smaller RAM allotment on the t620 plus, or maybe because the win7 embedded image is 32 bit only. If the licensing is hardware tattooed you can try installing a 64 bit embedded image (assuming MSDN access) and the license “should” activate. That machine can be somewhat performant given the right circumstances.

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
I don't know what methodology the benchmark software uses, but maybe the single thread ratings are more representative.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I think it’s more due to the smaller RAM allotment on the t620 plus, or maybe because the win7 embedded image is 32 bit only. If the licensing is hardware tattooed you can try installing a 64 bit embedded image (assuming MSDN access) and the license “should” activate. That machine can be somewhat performant given the right circumstances.
I think even with more ram and running 64-bit would still be slow on the 420. My unit with the 415 is decently peppy when running 10-20 rdp sessions, but I wouldn't count on it for anything more cpu intensive than that, even with more ram and 64-bit.

I don't know what methodology the benchmark software uses, but maybe the single thread ratings are more representative.
Yeah, that's all I really look at--as well as how many cores, power, socket, and year. I take their rating with a grain of salt.

Reactions: hk92doom