DELL SFP28 S5148F-ON || Need Help Finding: P/N of -- PSU & FAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
I bought a couple of units that both have 1-bad PSU [SLOT] ... and thus, they're not including either PSU nor the fans.
I'm assuming the unit will work with only one PSU (hopefully without being high-fan) .. ?

Will it be "high fan" the whole time or will I just lose the redundancy function ... ?

If anyone can help me with the PN for the fans and PSU it'd be helpful; I've looked for about 20 min and haven't found any for sale, thus, can't find the PN. Maybe they use standard PowerEdge PSUs..?

Thanks

Last edited:

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
I bought a couple of units that both have 1-bad PSU [SLOT] ... and thus, they're not including either PSU nor the fans.
I'm assuming the unit will work with only one PSU (hopefully without being high-fan) .. ?

Will it be "high fan" the whole time or will I just lose the redundancy function ... ?

If anyone can help me with the PN for the fans and PSU it'd be helpful; I've looked for about 20 min and haven't found any for sale, thus, can't find the PN. Maybe they use standard PowerEdge PSUs..?

Thanks
Dumb question but have you tried swapping the power supply between slots to ensure that it is the PSU and fan that are down and not the backplane they plug into?

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Dumb question but have you tried swapping the power supply between slots to ensure that it is the PSU and fan that are down and not the backplane they plug into?
Lot of info here too Link under a sublink I saw that you couldn't just replace a fan you had to replace a full PSU and apparently the PSU's draw air in different directions.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011

Thanks
O.K Just spoke to DELL's very unhelpful support who told me they need an service tag number for the switch in order to determine what replacement part you can use, apparently although there is one model of switch it can use different PSU's both A/C and D/C and the replacement part is dependant on the service tag .

You might have brought a couple of boat anchors, I hate DELL lock in crap.

This link tells you more .... UGHH Dell

Sjhwilkes

Oct 17, 2020
The service tag will tell them whether is was sold as AC or DC and which airflow direction - there's four possible parts. They should be able to figure out the P/N for AC is your preferred airflow direction just fine though. Just went through all this with a customer, but on 5048's and it did take ages to get the correct part numbers.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Do you not have to have a current service contract with dell to do that?, that was why I made the comment re anxhors, if you have to pay for a service contract just in order to buy parts its not worth while