Dell satadom 64gb

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

haregh19

Jun 20, 2020
Are there any cables that do not need any splicing or other steps - I am not sure I'll be able to do it right.
If someone is aware of such a cable, can you please post a link to such a cable ?

I have two X10 Supermicro Motherboards - X10SDV-7TP4F ( X10SDV-7TP4F | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. ) and X10SLH-N6-ST031 ( Supermicro Motherboard X10SLH-LN6TF X10SLH-N6-ST031 6x 10GBE PW CLEARED X540-T2 | eBay ) and got 2 Innodisk SATADOMs ( Dell 0T4M4 Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE Series 64GB SATA 6Gb/s 4-Pin Connector from NEW Dell 0T4M4 Innodisk SATADOM-ML 3SE Series 64GB SATA 6Gb/s 4-Pin Connector | eBay )

Will Supermicro CBL-PWEX-0625 3 Pin to 2 Pin 5V SATADOM Power Cable, 12.7cm, 28AWG | eBay work ?

Thanks in Advance!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Negative on that Supermicro cable, I actually ordered one in the same hope but when it came in didn’t look like it had a chance , will check tomorrow to be 100% sure but don’t think that’s the right cable (despite me also thinking it would do the job)

Reactions: haregh19

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
@haregh19
I purchased a pair of the same model Innodisk SATDOMs from a different ebay listing which had a no return policy, and I wasn't willing to just eat the $50 so I had to make them work. Your ebay listing indicates it can be returned within 30 days, so if you don't think you can get wiring figured out, you may be better off returning them and getting a Supermicro-branded DOM, or go to a traditional SSD if you have drive bays available.

If you decide to pursue the spliced wire solution, then you could check around for a nearby electronics repair shop willing to do it for a reasonable price. Someone else here suggested checking with a local community college to see if they have some kind of electrician course, they might do it just for the practice. As I'm thinking about it, maybe check with a local electrician union hall?

If you try it yourself, I learned that typical solder you get at Lowe's or Home Depot is too thick to work well with these tiny wires, so you'll probably need to hunt for that locally, or just get some online. And be gentle with wire strippers, many wire strippers are just going to cut right through everything or break these tiny wire strands. I don't have one, but something like an xacto knife could work well for this.

Since I bought two of those molex cables and only needed to cut one in half to make both of my cables, I've got a spare. If someone wants it, I could probably drop it in the mail for $5. Depending on what I can get in an envelope, I could throw in a length of heat shrink, since I don't 90% of the kit I got.

And if someone is up for a challenge, I also have the tiny crimp connectors & molex housings I initially bought that I'd also mail away for $5 - there are 9 connectors & 3 housings, so you could get 3 DOM power cables out of it. I have a 4th housing but one of the openings may be messed up, so possibly 4 cables if you know what you're doing. Clearly, I do not.

haregh19

Jun 20, 2020
Thanks @lediable . I reached out to the seller and he has agreed for a return though I was just outside the 30 day return window.

@Evan - Were you able to check if this worked ? If it did, maybe I'll just keep the SATADOMs and not return them. Thanks!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Evan - Were you able to check if this worked ? If it did, maybe I'll just keep the SATADOMs and not return them. Thanks!
sorry, it for sure does not fit, the 2 pin is the right style but only 2 pin it does not actually work.

plug on the right is the sata dom plug.

excuse the poor quality photo and fingers :)

Attachments

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Of course I have to make some cables myself, I knew it was a risk buying them so cheap. I was hoping though the supermicro cable would do the trick but seems not.

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Though this thread looks dead, I wanted to follow up for folks who might find it by searching for DOM power in the future. The information I posted above regarding Pin7 and Pin8 power turned out to be correct. As many folks here had already posted, Pin7 power (and the cheap Dell DOM that's all over Ebay today) does not work in SM SuperDOM ports without another source of power.

I purchased 4 SATA DOMs that were compatible with Pin8 power per the spec sheets (Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3IE3 V2) and they all 4 work perfectly in my SM SuperDOM ports (X10SRL-F motherboards). So if you're shopping for a DOM for a SM board, and you don't want to jerry-rig an extra power cable, head over to Innodisk's site and check the specs for Pin8 power compatibility.

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Just the dell ones are super cheap compared to the others
I agree the Dell ones were a little cheaper, but if they're not natively compatible, is it really worth the hassle to save a couple bucks? It's one thing to take the chance on an unknown and hope for the best, but now that it's known they don't work "out of the box", I'd wager most people would rather spend a tad more for the "right" version?

From what I saw the Dell ones were $22-$25 or best offer, so I don't know how cheap an offer someone might be willing to take. Lets assume you could get them for $20 any day of the week? The model I bought above is selling for $30 or best offer, and I offered $100 for 4 of them which was accepted right away.

Even at the BIN price of $30 I'd say it's worth buying the compatible model and not trying to figure out how to splice on a power adapter, but that's just me. Not to mention there are lots of other models compatible with 8-pin power, this just happens to be the one I bought. You could even save a search on Ebay for the appropriate model numbers and if one ever pops up in your price range you'll get an email. :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Magius your right. I got mine less than $20 and before the fact they didn’t really work was known. If the ones that work on SM boards are $25-30 then easier choice for sure.

Reactions: Magius

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
anyone update this satadom firmware ? my firmware is s140714 , google it found new version is S170119 and it said
" Excessive Shift Register Retry activity on the SL-3ME SATADOM can result in degraded SATADOM performance, eventually leading to a host instability/lock-up. This article provides steps to restore the SATADOM’s performance by applying a firmware patch. "

Reactions: Go0oSeR and int0x2e