Dell satadom 64gb

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I think for an SM X10 board you need this cable ??
That’s if you don’t make your own I mean.

Supermicro CBL-PWEX-0625 3 Pin to 2 Pin 5V SATADOM Power Cable, 12.7cm, 28AWG

$14.99+ $3.99 Shipping

Reactions: Samir

Oxygen

Aug 21, 2019
I've been crawling the web to try and find the rights connectors for the innodisks SATADOM.
I've a SL-3ME without the 7th pin power, with a Dell power cable (innodisk connector on one side, 4 pin black molex on the other)
So i'm trying to find a way to connect it to my supermicro board onto the power connector.

So far, i've found the connector on the Satadom side: Conexcon 1160

I've the feeling that the Supermicro board is using a JST SH connector, but I'm not 100% sure.
If some of you have an idea that would be greatly appreciated :)

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
according to this site big chance it is jst sh 3 pin, 1mm pitch connector.

i just measured sata-power connector on my x10drh-cln4. the outside measures are the same as this site says.

measuring the pitch is very difficult. but looks like 1mm

Oxygen

Aug 21, 2019
Ok, a few pics to explain better :)

This is an innodisk connected on a Supermicro SATADOM Power port (courtesy of STH)

Connector on the Innodisk is most likely the Conexcon 1160 - 3 pins or a Molex PanelMate - 3 pins (most likely compatible both)
Connector on the Motherboard is most likely a Molex PicoBlade - 3 pins.

This is a Dell/Innodisk cable (courtesy of ebay)

Black Connector is most likely a Molex Microfit 3 - 4 pins.

After carefully reviewing the connectors, I would tend to agree with the Picoblade on the SM boards.

Last edited:

Oxygen

Aug 21, 2019
SM is using (on the X10SLR-F) the Molex PicoBlade, that is a 1.25mm pitch connector. So you need the connector housing 0510210300 and crimping inserts that match your cable
Molex product page
Thanks, that looks to be right.
The fitting seems correct.

I'll try to make a cable from
Molex Microft Female 4 pins/2row <> Molex PicoBlade Female 3 pins
to keep the current cables intact.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I bought some of the connectors to make the SATA DOM side and the side that mates with the SM board. From DigiKey, these are the parts needed for the DOM:

For SM motherboard:

These are extremely small connectors and crimping them proved difficult for me.

if anyone can wait, I can send a set or two parts in snail mail. PM me.

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
I can't say I'm particularly thrilled to find all of this information. I bought a Supermicro X11SCL-F motherboard, which has two of the yellow SATA ports. Sadly, I'm in the same boat as several of you here, after purchasing two Innodisk ML 3SE series SATADOMs with a 4-pin power connector off ebay from this listing. I've run into so many "oh, dang, didn't realize that, gotta order something else now" moments while trying to assemble this machine. I'm learning, but man why couldn't this have just been simple!

@Kev - thanks for your response to my PM. For the sake of possibly helping out others trying to get this sorted out, here are some questions I've got. This should show how far out of my element I am here...
  • Is there a special crimp tool necessary to put the metal crimp connector on the wire?
  • Once the metal connector is on the wire, do you just push it into the plastic housing?
  • If I don't care about this cable with the 4-pin connector that came with the device, can I just cut that off and save myself the stress of trying to make both ends of the cable? Or would that be foolish of me?
If I get just the 2 plastic housings, and 4 crimp connectors to make the motherboard end, and use USPS to ship it, it comes to $6.30 for me. Part of me thinks I should just double the number of crimp connectors in case I screw up once or twice. For that matter, maybe I should just get 10. And an extra couple of housings.
Thanks!

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Time is money while I do enjoy a good tinkering. Could have bought a SM SATADOM paid the price and not deal with the extra labor of figuring out all this. Of course now this is documented so at least people know how to fix it.

Reactions: Evan and Samir

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
My issue with getting the Supermicro DOMs is they're oddly hard to find, especially for less than $50 and FreeNAS doesn't need a lot of space on the boot device.

Anyway, I placed an order at digikey for 4 of the plastic housings & 10 crimp connectors. Hopefully this weekend I can get at least one good cable made. If thing go really smoothly (ha!) I can sell extra parts to someone else that needs them.

Oxygen

Aug 21, 2019
@Kev - thanks for your response to my PM. For the sake of possibly helping out others trying to get this sorted out, here are some questions I've got. This should show how far out of my element I am here...
  • Is there a special crimp tool necessary to put the metal crimp connector on the wire?
  • Once the metal connector is on the wire, do you just push it into the plastic housing?
  • If I don't care about this cable with the 4-pin connector that came with the device, can I just cut that off and save myself the stress of trying to make both ends of the cable? Or would that be foolish of me?
If I get just the 2 plastic housings, and 4 crimp connectors to make the motherboard end, and use USPS to ship it, it comes to $6.30 for me. Part of me thinks I should just double the number of crimp connectors in case I screw up once or twice. For that matter, maybe I should just get 10. And an extra couple of housings.
Thanks!
I found a way to solve the crimp issue, as Molex sells also pre-assembled connectors/cables for Molex/Picoblade 3 connectors.

Crimping a molex/microfit is much easier, so I intend to use the pre-assembled cable on one end, and crimp the microfit on the other end.
Or cut the current cable, and solder it with the pre-assembled connector/cable.

Picoblade Pre-assembled: 2.37€/each
Microfit housing 0.407€/each
Microfit plug 0.70€/for 10

In the end, you can make your cable for 3.47€ (excl. shipping costs) without any issues on the picoblade crimping (it don't think this is doable without the right crimping tool)

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
I found a way to solve the crimp issue, as Molex sells also pre-assembled connectors/cables for Molex/Picoblade 3 connectors.

Crimping a molex/microfit is much easier, so I intend to use the pre-assembled cable on one end, and crimp the microfit on the other end.
Or cut the current cable, and solder it with the pre-assembled connector/cable.

Picoblade Pre-assembled: 2.37€/each
Microfit housing 0.407€/each
Microfit plug 0.70€/for 10

In the end, you can make your cable for 3.47€ (excl. shipping costs) without any issues on the picoblade crimping (it don't think this is doable without the right crimping tool)
Well dang, where were you about 24 hours ago. I think I'd go with the plan of cutting the 4-pin connector off the cable & soldering the two cables together. But, I'm committed now. Since I ordered 2x the number of parts I need, I'll give it a try. If I can't get it, I'll have to look for a local electronics repair shop willing to crimp the metal connectors for me.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Lediable while it's probably not open now check your local community college's electronics classes they might be able to bang this out quick.

Also Mouser electronics might also be able to get the above connectors.

Could always go and do the stupid fix and hot glue it after twisting together... o_O

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
Well, I gave up on putting those connectors on the wire. I've ordered 2 of the complete cables from digi-key since they had the best price & shipping cost, plus they're quick being just a state north of me.

The good news is that since the cables have the connector at both ends, I can fail up to 2 times. Well, more since they're longer then I'll need then to be. If this goes well, I could sell a cable or half to someone else that needs it.

And if anyone wants to try putting the connectors on themselves (I don't advise it for regular fools like me) I've got 4 housings & 9 metal connectors I can mail out, I certainly won't need them.

Edit: typo. Darn phone keyboard.

Reactions: techtoys

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
Sure, it's here

When I ordered, the 150mm length (that Oxygen linked to on the Farnell site) was out of stock, so I got the 100mm. There is also a 50mm, and longer like 300mm but I don't need that.

If you search the ol' interwebs for "molex 15134-0302" you can find other sites selling them too. I did learn the "-03xx" seems to indicate 3 pins, then a last 2 digits are just a counter of sorts, to differentiate between the premade lengths. 0300 = 50mm, 0301 = 100, 0302 = 150.

There was a site selling them for $0.93 but the cheapest shipping was $8.99. Since digi-key was super quick with my last order and $4 less on shipping, I went back to them.

Reactions: ari2asem

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
The cables arrived Monday, and Tuesday I managed to strip them without cutting too many (or none) of the wire strands. My current challenge is finding heat shrink tube small enough for these guys. Neighbor has a soldering iron, so hopefully I'll be able to find time to get these assembled by the end of the week.

IMG_20200623_132936.jpgIMG_20200623_134540.jpgIMG_20200623_134614.jpg

lediable

Jun 14, 2020
Iowa
Took longer then I wanted (pandemic slowed down my ability to get a few things dealt with) but as of a week ago, I have successfully got both DOMs operational as the boot pool of my FreeNAS system. The solder joints aren't pretty, but they're hidden under the heat shrink tube so I don't care that much. Speaking of which, I ordered the heat shrink tube from Amazon because no stores near me had any that was small enough. I got a kit of various sized tubing with 3/32" as the smallest, and a 3:1 shrink ratio. Looking at it compared to the wire, I was a little concerned it would still be too big, but it worked out great. After the individual wires were soldered & covered, I used a piece of larger tube to cover both joints, and the wires down to the molex connector. Turns out that makes it harder to bend, but I have no intention of moving it now that it is installed.

BIG thanks to everyone who figured out the connectors and identified the parts necessary to make these work on Supermicro boards!

Magius

Oct 15, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hey guys,
I recently did a ton of looking into the subject of DOMs and specifically compatibility between Supermicro SuperDOM ports and Innodisk DOMs. I *think* I finally figured it out, however I'm not going to swear to this, because I haven't bought a DOM to test yet.

My understanding is that SuperDOM ports do *NOT* provide power on the 7th SATA pin. The motherboards from other vendors that do that tend to have a jumper nearby that you need to switch to either +5V or GND, and they do not auto-sense that a DOM needing power was inserted. I haven't seen a SM board with that kind of configuration, I've seen it on Intel and maybe some other boards.

Instead, SuperDOM ports provide power on what is called the 8th SATA pin. This isn't really a "pin" at all, but a little pad on the outer ring of the SATA connector. Innodisk sells different DOMs that support 7th pin power, 8th pin power, and/or external power, so the 8th pin power DOMs should be compatible with SM boards. If you look closely on a compatible DOM you can see the little metal pieces on the sides that look like tensioners to hold the DOM in the SATA port:

Those little prongs touch the metal pads on the inside of the SuperDOM port, which you can just barely make out in the bottom circles of this picture:

The issue I've found is that the super cheap Dell DOM all over eBay is only compatible with 7-pin power, not 8-pin power, so it doesn't work in SM boards. I saw at least three cases, not all on this forum, of people saying that specific model did not work in their board. Conversely, if you find an Innodisk DOM that supports 8-pin power, it should work in a SM board just fine. I haven't tested it yet myself, however one great clue can be found in this article: https://www.servethehome.com/innodisk-satadom-sl-3me3-v2-128gb-benchmarks-review/

That shows an Innodisk DOM working fine in a SM board, but it's a different part number from the cheap Dell part. If you check the specs on Innodisk's site, this part number supports both 7-pin and 8-pin power, so while it's not a slam dunk, it does lend some support. In addition, if you look very closely at the 2nd picture in that article you can see the metal tab on the side of the DOM connector, just like my first photo above. It's a little easier to see on the left side in that pic.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure this is the answer, but until I buy a DOM compatible with 8-pin power and *not* compatible with 7-pin power and test it in my SM board I can't say 100% sure. Also, that's one other thing to watch out for, some DOMs support all 3 methods of power delivery, some only support 2. So some DOMs out there can only support 7-pin and 8-pin power and can *not* support external power cables. This is even true of some models that have an external power connector. The PCB's are all the same apparently, but some can *not* actually be powered from that side connector. So if nothing else, before buying a cheap DOM on eBay, make sure to look up the Innodisk spec sheet and make sure it supports the right kind of power delivery. Ideally (I think?) Pin-8 power and external cable would be the best combo for SM, since I believe 7-pin power is useless on our boards.