Dell R740XD latch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

barmalej

May 31, 2019
Scored a free R740XD at work, but it has an interesting problem, the latch on the top cover doesn't go all the way in. I have a small rack and it touches the server above even when it's completely closed. I noticed that here is a small pin inside that could be on the way - it's hard to tell. I never dealt with R740s before, my R730 didn't have this problem. Is it broken, can it be easily fixed?

20221114_013324.jpg
20221114_013341.jpg

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Scored a free R740XD at work, but it has an interesting problem, the latch on the top cover doesn't go all the way in. I have a small rack and it touches the server above even when it's completely closed. I noticed that here is a small pin inside that could be on the way - it's hard to tell. I never dealt with R740s before, my R730 didn't have this problem. Is it broken, can it be easily fixed?
That usually means that the cover isn't on all the way. Your picture seems to show a gap between the chassis and the EMI gasket on the lid. Sometimes it is just sticky, sometimes one of the tabs that hold the cover to the case isn't lined up, and sometimes there's something inside the chassis pushing up on the inside of the cover.

While I don't have any 740's here, there is usually a large screw head in the cover release latch that is used to lock the cover down. If it is in the "lock" position when you try to close the latch it won't go all of the way down.