Dell R730xd SFF 3,5" midbay possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CarlWilhelm

Oct 28, 2020
Hi guys.

I have a Dell R730xd with 24*2,5" SAS drives in front.
I have seen that Dell sold these machines new in the LFF format with 12*3,5" in front, and optional 4*3,5" in midbay.

Based on my research, i have the avaliable ports on my motherboard to connect this midbay to, and if i need to replace my CPU coolers with low profile ones.

Dell did not provide the SFF chassis with this option, so i am trying to find out if there is any limitation in the chassis i cannot see that is different from the LFF chassis?

If you have a R730xd LFF machine i would love if you could provide detailed pictures of the inside walls between the front backplane and PCI-E bays so i can check if there is any difference before i order a midbay.

Hope for good answers, and mabe some smart heads here have some experience.

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Theoretically, it might be possible, if you had the smaller CPU heat sinks (not standard in SFF case) and sufficient SAS Ports. The 3.5" disk midplane is placed behind the fan wall, above right the CPUs.