Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty AUG 2020

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Hi,

I just picked up 18 drives from *Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty AUG 2020 @ $150. I just wanted to let others know as I was monitoring the number of drives sold over the weekend and noticed none had been sold, so I though this was now the time to get a better price as (at least in part) the market may be saturated the seller seeing not as many people are buying. So, if you have been on the fence you may be able to get a bit better price.

As to the scenario...the plan is to use 16 drives as a Storage Spaces cache for 8x3tb WD Reds. The 16 drives will be on their own controller in either RAID 5 (with a few spares) or RAID 6, I needing to experiment a bit. The current plan is for the WD Reds b in a mirrored (RAID 10)array, as I expect the WD drives to be my primary storage.

Because of the way Storage Spaces works each set of drives will look like a single drive to the OS being configured through the controller, which will allow me to pull this off. For the SSD drives I'm using an Adaptec 71605 controller (got cheap on ebay), for the hard drives I'll be using the onboard LSI 3008 controller for RAID 10.

The use case is somewhat mixed. I have some other cheap servers that will/are being used for VMs but because I have some 4oGbe network cards (ConnectX-3, also got cheap on ebay) for the most part I want those other machines to use the primary server (iSCSI) as a storage server having minimal storage on each of the other servers. The only exception is to have enough storage on one of the other servers as a backup.

So, the bottom line:
* To get full bandwidth out of the network cards (and VMs) without storage being the bottleneck, hence the cache.
* Want a long term solution. In my view I will not be able to get this type of storage and protection using NVMe at least for several more years, in reality would like at least a 5 year (perhaps 10) solution just being able to make a few upgrades along the way.
* SSD drives with write protection and high durability (perhaps even considering resale)
* Run VMs on all servers, including the "converged" server.
* Do it at the lowest price I can. of course.

Just in case anyone wants to know...

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
Just a tip (off topic) since a lot of you (including me) does not have a US ebay account. Do a simple check if you get results on this query:

forerunnerrecyclingstl | eBay

If you get no results, make a separate US account. I find it so strange that this offer did not pop up in my daily searches - and this seller seems to have excluded all non-us accounts from getting any results. That might be the case for other sellers as well.

I just created a new account. Seems like direct links works even on my existing account, so I can buy from that if I want.

Again sorry for the off-topic remark.

Sing

Aug 3, 2016
I wish to buy 1 and put it in my Thinkpad X250.
Will this drive become to hot in the laptop?
Thanks.

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
At 5.4W power usage I would say it wasn´t exactly perfect for laptop use, but I do think it would work OK. But I don´t really think you need that kind of endurance on a laptop - unless you plan to repurpose in the future. For me - something like a 600GB s3500 is more right for that kind of use. More space - less money - doubt you would notice any speed difference.

Sing

Aug 3, 2016
Thanks Flintstone

But I am afraid that 8MB bug still exists on S3500:
S3500 Series 800GB w 8MB bug!
So I don't want to move to S3500

And you are right, I will repurpose it in the future.

As SSD can be easily killed by heat.
So it is my concern.
Technically, I think the notebook can provide enough power to power the SSD up.
But it may not have enough cooling.
Are all of you playing it in server rack / desktop only?

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
Thanks Flintstone
But I am afraid that 8MB bug still exists on S3500:
S3500 Series 800GB w 8MB bug!
So I don't want to move to S3500
Seems rare from what I can gather - and you need up-to-date backups anyway. IMHO risk of stolen laptop is probably higher than the 8MB bug (as far as I can see).

And you are right, I will repurpose it in the future.

As SSD can be easily killed by heat.
So it is my concern.
Technically, I think the notebook can provide enough power to power the SSD up.
But it may not have enough cooling.
Intel ARK says: Operating Temperature Range 0°C to 70°C

I don´t think temperature will be a big concern based on that.

Sing

Aug 3, 2016
How about warranty?
Even it is a retail drive, there will be no proof of. purchase. So how can we RMA the drive?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
2.5" is big for a notebook drive these days. m.2 has become extremely popular. Actually, the Intel drives are not the lowest power SSDs which may be something you care about in a notebook form factor. In a server I generally optimize on minimal downtime.

On the warranty side, I have had good luck with enterprise drives just saying "no idea where the receipt is."

Reactions: nthu9280

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I really wish some projects were further than they are, would really love to justify 48 of these :D:D

Reactions: Boddy

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
Accepted 4 x $150 as well

It's funny what 2 weeks of waiting does, the seller told me at least 2-3 times(over multiple listings) that they couldn't go lower than $170 each for quantities this low.

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Another EBay seller offering 400 GB S3710 for $195 OBO (with discounts for bulk purchases. Drive looks to have same firmware as OP in picture. No HDD cage in picture) FYI.

Intel S3710 400GB DC SSD SSDSC2BA400G4 SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Warranty Until 2020
Yup. I got a lot of 18x drives from this seller. They are legit. They had over 1000 when I purchased. Seller cherry-picked drives with least amount of usage for me.

I got one drive that was brand new, the rest were around 500GB writes, only 1-2 drivers were above 1TB. ( it was around 1.5TB )

Reactions: Boddy

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I received mines today

- all have a warranty to August 2020
- all have 100% life remaining from Intel SSD Toolbox

- disk #1 ( 5182 hours, 374 Gb Read, 324 Gb Write)
- disk #2 ( 5182 hours, 1.1 Tb Read, 258 Gb Write )
- disk #3 ( 5182 hours, 1.1 Tb Read, 604 Gb Write )
- disk #4 ( 5183 hours, 8.8 Tb Read, 12.9 Tb Write )

The #4 drive was more used than others but it's still reasonnable.

My Windows 10 don't see them initially , i had to reformat them from an Ubuntu live cd.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Curious, what are you guys using this for? I bought an Intel 750 AIC NVME card to use as an SLOG to speed up NFS.