Dell R730XD Intel DC S3710 MLC 400GB SSD 2.5 6Gb/s SATA III Wrnty AUG 2020

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I believe this to be true as well; at least that's been my experience dealing with dell warranty, which I do every week. A system and its parts are covered. The parts are under the umbrella of the server though, not individual.
Also, in my experience, it's not so much if the units shipped in the host server with warranty, but could have. I've moved drives and parts around and Dell would say 'that's weird that it didn't ship with it, but IS our part, and the server IS under warranty, so... 4 hours you'll have your part...'

(Ymmv)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
I'm pretty sure these drives are retail. My seller said that the other sellers could have aquired these from the other companies datacenters outside of CA.

Or the seller in OP bought a few hundred from my seller haha.

Anywho, I'm getting ~18 of these in on Monday. What benchmarks do you guys want to see happen? I realized there aren't that much reviews on the S3710 out. I might throw 18 of them into a ZFS mirror or stripe and see what happens. Or maybe just 12 in RAID-10.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
These drives are fast! Much faster than consumer SSD's for writes that uses the ATA_CMD_FLUSH command often, for example SQL Databases (even SQLite), ZIL(most people will not need a dedicated ZIL anyway) or Ceph. They also have excellent read performance. Another thing is that these drives can be overwritten like a million times which makes them excellent for Ceph cache, BCache or just a cache for any block device out there. Using 2-4 of these together with the 20-22 450GB 10k 2.5" drives can give you several TB's of lightning fast storage.
I read others getting 2GB/s from 20 or so 10k 2.5 drives on their own.
I'm no teckie, but I'm interested in building hardware to host a wiki/forum.
What sort of performance would you expect (aprox) to get out of 20 x 10k 2.5 spinners and 4 x S3710?
As an easy to configure and maintain RAID6, Raidz2, ZIL, Ceph is there any particular platform that you would recommend for (1) redundancy, (2) easy to configure and use and (3) performance (multiple user access)?
Cheers

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
You're measuring performance for one workload, which is sequential read/write. Most workload involves random 4k read and write which means 20 10k spinners manage 4MB/s while 4 of these do almost 2GB/s.

If you're going to build a wiki/forum, you most likely will benefit most using a proper HTTP cache solution like Varnish. Varnish is so fast that you will be network bound on a 10G network before your cpu hit 10% load.

ZFS is very easy to configure with FreeNAS. Ceph is the opposite, extremely hard to setup.

Reactions: Boddy

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I read others getting 2GB/s from 20 or so 10k 2.5 drives on their own.
I'm no teckie, but I'm interested in building hardware to host a wiki/forum.
What sort of performance would you expect (aprox) to get out of 20 x 10k 2.5 spinners and 4 x S3710?
As an easy to configure and maintain RAID6, Raidz2, ZIL, Ceph is there any particular platform that you would recommend for (1) redundancy, (2) easy to configure and use and (3) performance (multiple user access)?
Cheers
How big exactly do you plan on your forum/wiki being? I've handled 100k+ visitors (millions of resources loaded) per-day from old school servers with single HDD in raid1 all-in-one style.

The "raw" configuration is only a small piece of the puzzle. Remember most software can be configured to utilize RAM for cache... and in this day and age we have CDNs to handle static resources so the actual 'web' server can handle a lot without needing to be insanely robust. If you're doing web+db then, again, remember to configure your DB server, read the usage reports, tweak, repeat, etc... same goes for other caching mechanisms.

I would start out very simple with 4x S3710 in raid10 and go from there.

Reactions: Boddy

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @BackupProphet and @T_Minus very much for your valuable and insightful feedback! Highly appreciated!!!

Grand plans and hopefully it could be a national thing (though our nation is 1/10 of USA). I probably don't have resources to replicate a mini Wikipedia, but at least if I can develop a good collaborative wiki and have enough hardware to host a good initial version from which I could seek further funding/resources if needed. So if I can configure the most users from my existing hardware the better.

Not to hijack this thread I plan to start another thread in the future, which you are happy to contribute. The main point is to recognise benefits of write optimised SSDs for intensive workloads and use other read optimised SSDs in other areas. (Rather than use any SSD for SSD sake, to get best outcome). Many thanks again for your insights!

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Write optimized SSD's are usually better in all areas. Honestly for $0.5/GB, these ssd's are hard to beat, even with brand new non intel mix-use ssd's eg: SM863.

I think you'll find all the S3710's that are being sold by the sellers have under ~50TB of writes if its from the same company that got liquidated.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You gotta pay for the 'free' healthcare and stuff somehow!

Sorry - not the place to be political - but it was a softball & I had to hit it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
No one that isn't a hardcore right 'fundy' really calls single payer systems "free". Generally, everyone in those countries knows that they're socialized systems. You only really find the word 'free' in western rhetoric.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
I just tried - declined in 1 minute :) Not that I need more but for $60 I will take a few