Dell R710 RAID PERC H700 Foreign Configuration(s) issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stealthrt

Sep 15, 2014
Hey all.

Just getting around to setting up my server from it setting some 2 years without plugging it in or running it at all.

Now prior to it sitting I did have it running for awhile and I know it does run as it sits today but there seems to be some configuration issue with it now?
error.png

This R710 that i have is the 6 x3.5" version. They consist of:
r710.png

0-256GB SSD      2-Seagate 6TB HDD    4-Seagate 6TB HDD
1-Seagate 6TB HDD   3-Seagate 6TB HDD 5-Blank

I am running the above with a H700 raid PCIe card with Cache Memory of 1GB.
Upon startup the lights look like this:
r710l.png

Drives 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all lite up solid green. However, drive 0 does not have any lights on at all.

I took out the 256GB SSD in drive 0 and hooked it up to my external USB adapter on my other computer and it came up just fine with all the files on it being correct and not corrupted. I also hooked up a regular HDD to drive 0 and it gave me a solid green lite without that error.

The below image is what it looks like when I tested out drive 0 with a 320GB HDD.
raid1.png

The RAID with the 256GB SSD looks like this:
raid2.png

So before I do anything on the server I would like an expert on this to let me know what I need to do in order to boot to my Windows Server that's on the 256GB SSD. The 6TB drive(s) have a lot of stuff on them that i do not want to erase or destroyed by losing the raid 5 array.

I tried pressing 'F' but it didn't seem to do anything but continue on? And it comes up each time i reboot. Sometimes the drive blinks orange really fast and other times its just off. Am i missing something?

Here are some screen shots of the RAID controller config:
raid6.jpg

raid5.jpg

Oddly enough when I hit F5 (on the VD Mgmt screen) to refresh it starts blinking the 256GB ssd...

It has shown up once.... But then I did a Initialization and i chose OK when i wanted to choose Cancel...Hence I had to clone the SSD with the image I made prior to doing all of this. Ever since doing that it has not shown up on the list.

It was suggested to create a new VD without Initialization should fix the issue but It doesn't seem to be selectable. Its grayed out.

raid7.jpg

raid8.jpg

raid9.jpg

Last edited:

stealthrt

Sep 15, 2014
Well..... after a long long battle I finally won

1) Shutdown.
2) Unplug.
3) Take drive 1,2,3 and 4 out.
4) Go into the RAID config and create a new VD since the ssd shows up finally

5) Steps 1 and 2 again.
6) Place drive 1,2,3 and 4 in.
7) Boot and it should have my original RAID 5 intact.

8) Reboot with your windows server on a bootable usb drive.
9) Proceed to install windows....

10) Once the above step is completed and it counts down to restart be sure to take out the USB.
11) Windows login screen should come up