Dell R630xl

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Thorzeen

Jun 15, 2018
So i see a good deal on a R630xl on ebay and pull the trigger and It arrived yesterday and to my surprise the bios setup is password protected. I looked online and there are a couple of sets of jumpers for clearing password and nvram except this motherboard does not have those. There is a spot on the board where they would normally be except this board does not come with them installed.

A little more poking around online i find this is a custom ordered "locked" board ( I think). I do have access to the IDRAC 8 enterprise i just can't seem to override the passworded bios!This causes everything in setup including lifecycle to be grayed out. Is there a way around this ? can anyone point me in the right direction with instructions to override this ? Battery removal does not work Thanks

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If the pads are present on the mainbord, have you tried shorting them to see if they are working, i.e just missing the jumper pins?

Thorzeen

Jun 15, 2018
I see jumpers immediately to the left of the screen printing? Are those not the BIOS jumpers?
Not sure what those are yet. But according to dell manual the jumpers are identified as the ones showing in center of picture. I would experiment but i don't want to short anything and jeopardize returning to seller if needed

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Those are your 2 jumpers. One of them is for password disable, the other is for NVRAM clear. Normally the jumpers should be on pins 4-6 for password enabled and pins 3-5 for NVRAM, but you need to move them to 2-4 and 1-3. Power off the box and move the jumpers. Power on again and once in setup, change or remove the system/ setup password. Then power down again and move the NVRAM jumper back onto pins 3-5. The PWD jumper can be moved back if you want to set a new password, or left on pins 2-4 to disable checking of the system/ setup password altogether.

Just a tip for ya. Jumpers on Mainboards are meant to be moved to set options etc, you will not damage anything by moving them. Placing a jumper onto unknown pins on the other hand could potentially cause damage, but likely not as most things on Mainboards are current limited :)

Last edited:

weust

Aug 15, 2014
The picture printed on the motherboard is just to indicate what you can do with the actual jumpers. To the left of the picture, as pricklypunter mentions.