Dell R620 - Upgrade CPU 2650v1 -> 2690v2? New vs Used?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigHye

Jan 25, 2019
I have 3x Dell R620's w/ Xeon E5-2650 (8 Core @ 2.0GHz) each with 384GB RAM, multiple SSD's and Dual 10GbE. Since i already have the sunk cost of the Chassis + RAM I was thinking about upgrading the R620's to give them a new lease on life I already have a 14 server with Dual Xeon E5-2690v2 (10 Core @ 3.0 GHz) processors so I was looking to upgrade the R620's to match. All these machines run VMware ESXi and host VMs of various types that execute a constant workload 24x7.

I recently added a Dell R340 w/ E-2186G (6 Core @3.8GHz) running ESXi as a build server to speed up some CI/CD automated testing jobs that could use single core performance boost. The R620's run some other workloads that could definetly benefit from faster core performance (2.0GHz -> 3.0GHz).

We ran a test and got the following results of our Build Job Performance:
2650 - 25min
2690v2 - 18min
2186G - 11min

1. Dell says the R620 supports both v1 and v2 Xeons but do I need to verify if the motherboard is a certain revision or model to make sure its supported?

2. The E5-2650 is 95w and the E5-2690v2 is 130w. I haven't been able to validate if the heat sink that came with the E5-2650 (Dell P/N M112P) is rated to work on the E5-2690v2 or if I need a different heat sink. I was only able to find one other Dell P/N (N6YNR) that goes with the R620 but it doesn't look to be any different and shows in multiple searches to be a substitute for the M112P. Any ideas if I can use the M112P or do I need a different heat sink?

3. What about thermal paste / pad? I probably want to replace the thermal paste that's on the heat sink... Most thermal paste for enthusiasts have a ~3 year application life but as a server that's running decent load 24x7 in a climate controlled data center, I probably want something that is going to last a long time. Thoughts/recommendations?

4. New vs Used Intel CPU's? This is the biggest question of all. I found a reputable dealer selling Used E5-2690v2 for $150/each but my typical supplier says he can only get New for $350/each. Both come with 30 day warranties. I'm assuming if I install the CPU and burn it in for 48hr, its either going to work for a long time or fail right off the bat so New vs Used isn't much of an argument?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
1) Yes it need to be at least bios 2.0.19: Dell Server PowerEdge BIOS R620 Version 2.0.19 | Driver Details | Dell US
That said you may just want to upgrade to the latest version for other improvements and security issues.

This package is the latest version for the R620 it auto updates all firmware, bios, idrac, etc in a lovely easy to boot ISO. (one of the big reasons I love Dell, they dont charge for it, and its really easy to do)

2) No the heatsinks are the same passive blocks for any of the CPU, the fans just spin at a higher speed if more TDP is used.

3) Any standard paste can be used, M4 is my go to as its a good performance and rated for 8 years or so they claim: MX-4 | Highest Performance Thermal Compound | ARCTIC
"MX-4 does not compromise over time. Once applied, you do not need to apply it a second time as it will last at least for 8 years."

4. Doesn't matter as long as it works, its probably one of the least likely thing to go out on the server, go for the cheapest retail chip version of the chip you can get.

Last edited:

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
That all said, are you sure the performance is solely based off the cpu clock speed and not ram/storage speed?
That 2186G which cuts 60% of the time off can boost to 4.7ghz and is only a single processor vs your dual R620s (I assume dual anyway?).
If it is, would the 2667 v2 be a better candidate with its 4.0ghz boost? While 2690 v2 has 2 more cores it only boosts to 3.3ghz in comparison.

Just my 2 cents (but it'd be only a couple minutes difference and cost about $900 too), depends on how much the reduced time is worth to ya.
I'm a big proponent of free/reusing the equipment though if you can repurpose some of the other hosts.

BigHye

Jan 25, 2019
1. Already running the latest bios and other firmware.
2. Good to know I can reuse the existing heat sinks after cleaning them. Saves me a couple of bucks.
3. 20g of Artic MX-4 for ~$20 seems like it should be plenty for 6 CPU's. At that price, I'll buy 2 just in case. I might even crack a few of the older ones open who's temps have risen compared to the others and reapply.
4. At $150/each, I can afford to buy a spare or two.

These are VMware ESXi hosts with a bunch of different VM's running 24x7. They are all connected to a PureStorage FlashArray so the storage performance is pretty consistent in my testing. We don't see sustained CPU usage for more than a few seconds to a couple of minutes in this cluster like we do in our CI/CD build cluster that can go to 100% cpu for 10-30+ minutes. I already have a bunch of 2690v2 so the flexibility of being able to swap these into a difference cluster without worrying about core/clock speed has some advantages. I think the bump in clock speed from 2.0 to 3.0 (2690v2) and extra cores will be more useful than the turbo boost (2667v2). I might just buy the 2667v2 to give it a try and compare if I can find them for a decent price. I didn't even think to compare memory speeds and will do that test next.

I've been on the lookout for a high single core clock speed server cpu and ended up buying a Dell R340 w/ E-2186G off the Dell Outlet site based on suggestions here (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/fast-single-core-in-a-1u-chassis.26968/). Since I need dual power supplies and a rack mount chassis, trying to find a motherboard & chassis to fit this requirement that can take a non-server grade CPU has been difficult.

What I wouldn't give for a Server CPU with a decent core count (6 to 8) that operates all cores at 5.0GHz+. There's still plenty of applications that throwing more cores at it doesn't make it go faster especially when the clock speed decreases as CPU core counts go up...

Thanks for the reply.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Thats pretty typical of the high cores lowering the frequency, otherwise they'd generate too much heat.
You could always go custom too, you can buy empty 2-4u supermicro shells that support ATX and just throw in a consumer grade intel/AMD parts that are 5ghz+, only drawback would be lack of IMPI and trying to cool a high TDP chip, you would still have redundant PSU and rack mount like you need.

The 9900k or the new 10900k would be good candidates as at stock offer 5.0+ boost.
AMD offers much better bang for the buck if you can sacrifice a little core speed, these options arent as cheap as those 2690 or 2667 though and would be a full system cost pretty much.

Last edited: