DELL R620 adding second CPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Hello to all ,
can someone tell me if I buy Dell R620 with 1 CPU configuration ,what I need to add except the heatsink for second CPU. I cant find on internet what is needed.

Best regards

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
You need thermal paste, the heatsink, and then ram to install in slots that correspond with the 2nd cpu (ideally matching the size and speed to the CPU1 slots). You will want to propagate all of the fan slots as well if those are not fully filled to ensure adequate cooling.
Theres nothing else special needed from an OS or config perspective.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
My R620 was surprisingly forgiving when it came to RAM. I had a hard time finding exact matches for the RAM that was already installed, so I put in whatever I had on hand, plus a couple "bargain finds" and it worked with all of it. I've got 3 different brands in it now, with a mix of Single, Dual, and Quad Rank RDIMMs. Speeds are mixed too, with everything clocking down to the slowest, as one would expect., I did match capacity across sockets though, so the two sockets mirror themselves in that regard.

Be prepared for more fan noise, mine was practically silent at idle with one CPU, but was definitely noticeable with two.

Reactions: Milos

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
You will also need to make sure that you have matching processors from the E5-26xx series. If you have an updated BIOS, this can also include V2 processors. If your server is currently configured with an E5-16xx series processor, then you will need to purchase two E5-26xx processors, as the 16xx series does not have a QPI link for multiple processors.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
You will also need to make sure that you have matching processors from the E5-26xx series. If you have an updated BIOS, this can also include V2 processors. If your server is currently configured with an E5-16xx series processor, then you will need to purchase two E5-26xx processors, as the 16xx series does not have a QPI link for multiple processors.
Good call to verify, but those dual socket servers come configured with only the 2600 series according to the technically documentation, so unless it was exchanged out by someone, it didn’t likely come from dell configured with a 1600 series processor.

Milos

Feb 22, 2018
Black hole with internet
Thank you all ,
the server have arrived, and I have ordered another CPU cooler, I already have the CPUs. Unlike the R520 which I got once with a 1P CPU risers, here there's no problem with the upgrade.

Best regards