Dell R510 12-bay status LEDs with LSI 9211-8i IT mode (H200 reflash)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
Hey all - I am working on a project and have a Dell R150 12-bay that I've put an H200 in, cross-flashed to a 9211-8i, and have issues with the LEDs on the trays not functioning. I am using the standard "internal" backplane of the machine. All disks show up and have no errors, etc. The OS can see the disks no problem. But, the activity and status LEDs do not seem to work (haven't had a disk failure yet so they might work for that... not sure).

Any thoughts? I can only think that the Dell backplane doesn't play well with non-Dell firmware HBAs. Thinking about trying to flash the H200 to the "external SAS Non-Raid" (compatible with H200/9211) and see if that plays better. Thought I'd check here to see if anyone has experience!

Thanks!

Reactions: Oxzhor

Oxzhor

Jan 11, 2017
The Netherlands, Amsterdam
Hey all - I am working on a project and have a Dell R150 12-bay that I've put an H200 in, cross-flashed to a 9211-8i, and have issues with the LEDs on the trays not functioning. I am using the standard "internal" backplane of the machine. All disks show up and have no errors, etc. The OS can see the disks no problem. But, the activity and status LEDs do not seem to work (haven't had a disk failure yet so they might work for that... not sure).

Any thoughts? I can only think that the Dell backplane doesn't play well with non-Dell firmware HBAs. Thinking about trying to flash the H200 to the "external SAS Non-Raid" (compatible with H200/9211) and see if that plays better. Thought I'd check here to see if anyone has experience!

Thanks!
I planned to do the same but then with a perc H310 cross-flashed to a 9211-8i.
Did you already solved the problem with the LED's ?

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
I forget specifically - but mine is working. The activity lights work, specifically, and I did have a disk failure and I believe the orange failure LED worked as well. I don't know if the solid LEDs work. But that's ok - the activity ones do. I can check a video I made.

Oxzhor

Jan 11, 2017
The Netherlands, Amsterdam
I forget specifically - but mine is working. The activity lights work, specifically, and I did have a disk failure and I believe the orange failure LED worked as well. I don't know if the solid LEDs work. But that's ok - the activity ones do. I can check a video I made.
That's the most important indicated LED :)
Thanks for your reply.

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
That's the most important indicated LED :)
Thanks for your reply.
Actually, come to think of it, maybe the warning/error LED didn't work, but what did work was the fact that the activity LED was not flashing. I still mapped out the tray # w/ serial # of the disk in ZFS, but yeah.